Chapter 20

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing and I just didn’t want to believe what I was hearing. My mind was completely blank. My heart nor brain wanted to accept this and I could hear my mom from the other end of the call.

Mom: “Bella- Hello?”

Bella: “Mom….this isn’t true right I can’t believe that…..”

Mom: “As much as I don’t want to believe it, I saw it in front of my own eyes that the monitor showed just a line. I still can’t believe it”

Bella: “I’m coming over. Stacy woke up and is with Susan and the adults are here. I can’t leave you guys there on your own.”

Mom: “How will you come here Bella?”

Bella: “I’ll call Uncle Flynn. Just wait for me mother.”

I didn’t notice that Susan had been calling my name from inside and I wasn’t able to answer because I was just too caught up with my conversation with mom.

Susan: “Bella are you alright? What’s happening? Why do you look so freaked out?”

Bella: “Susan….Maria didn’t make it….”

Susan: “Wait now mate hold up now you don’t mean-“

Bella: “Yeah…that’s what I mean. My family needs me right now so for a little bit, I’m going to have to go to them.”

Susan: “Alight then Bella. I’m proud of you for being so strong.”

Bella: “Thank you…Susa. I know if I don’t tell Stacy she will kill me for sure but for now, just don’t tell her anything please. She’s recovering right now so when the time comes, and she’s healed a bit, we’ll let her know.”

Susan: “Alright Bella be safe please.”

Bella: “I will try to be and also take care of yourself and Stacy as well.”

She hugged me and after a few minutes of waiting for my uncle to come, I was off to the hospital where the Johnson’s and my family were. I could imagine what their state would be like. It was almost like the day I lost my dear father. But for them, the case was different because they knew that their child was gone, before their eyes. Those were the same eyes that had hope in them for their daughter. And moving on for them must be beyond difficult.

I reached the hospital and each step I took, I was afraid of the outcome. I mean, I knew this much everyone must be crying and grieving over this. But I wasn’t ready to witness all of that before my eyes. I had to go to comfort them. I couldn’t leave them alone of course.

When I went over where everyone else was, it was exactly how I described it, would be but much worse. I was crying myself, unable to get a hold of myself and the situation. I wish, during times like this, there would be something to help people. But as far as I know, in this world, nothing can help the ones of the loss of a loved one.

But at the same time, I had to keep my head in the game. There was something fishy going on. With the fact of how little Maria fell from the top. I mean the window, why was it open? I’m sure she wouldn’t be able to do it. And I know Isla was playing hide and seek so of course it wasn’t her, she could never. But I couldn’t think straight because this situation has caused me great pain. I’ve been with Maria since she was a newborn baby. We would go visit them that time, which is why I grew quite attached to her. Father was also close with them and loved the family dearly.

A few days had passed since then and they weren’t getting any better and I can’t say that they should heal quickly. It’s just because of that, they are unable to eat sleep or even drink a bit of water. It seemed as if they were in a zombie state but there was nothing much I could do for them except support them.

Stacy was also recovering and of course, was mad at me for telling her the news later on about Maria. But I was grateful she understood me. The only thing left, was to solve this case and break whoever’s legs I must for killing Maria.

Stacy and Susan were coming over to discuss and Stacy was also going to tell me everything that happened that day because now, she was ready to tell us the whole thing.

I heard the doorbell ring and rushed over to open it. After saying our hellos, we headed on into my room.

Stacy: “So this is what I remember from that day, but please spare me for what I’m about to say. So that day I was going to the café and because you know, it’s a couple of blocks down the street. I went on my own. I wanted to get some dounts for us. I mean you know how we love them. I felt as if I was being followed and to correct my suspicions, after getting the dounts, I headed out. I wanted to go somewhere crowded and reached somewhere safe. Or so I thought. After I thought it was all clear, I walked back to my house and that’s when someone from behind me covered my mouth and I wasn’t able to speak and wasn’t conscious…..”

Bella: “Tell me this much, miss you went out alone on purpose or what??? When I told you not to??? Like girl-”

Stacy: “I know! But hear me out, okay? I just wanted to help you know who the person in the black hoodie was. Now let me tell you the rest and then you can nag at me.”

Bella: “Thank you….Stacy really. But don’t do that again, or else I shall have your head.”
I hugged her and thanked her again; it was such a selfless act. For helping me, she did something like this.

Stacy: “It’s my absolute pleasure. Now back to the story. After I regained consciousness, I saw that there was one person in front of me. Again in all black, but not in a hoodie. They were wearing a mask and a cap.”

Bella: “Did you notice anything? Like a mark or something? Perhaps a scar?”

Stacy: “Yes! He had a mole on his hand, a big one. Apparently they were wearing clear gloves when they were trying to put a knife….at me.”

Bella: “Okay, I think that would be enough for now. Stacy, it’s alright now.”

Stacy: “Nope. I want to finish. This person had the guts to do that and I’m going to find out who did this. Other than that, I remember his cologne. It had a very similar scent.”

Bella: “So what we know is that he had a familiar scent and had a mole on his hand. That’s all we know?” 

Susan: “I mean how many people do we know with a mole on their hand and wears cologne?”

Bella: “Let me think. I mean if you’re talking about generally, who I know in my family is-“

Susan: “Is who?  Do you perhaps know someone?”

Bella: “I think I do……and I can’t believe what I’m about to say.”