TWENTY-TWO

A few weeks passed by, and the boys eventually settled into a routine. Each would guard for three hours, then do other stuff while the other went to guard the camp. During their free three hours, they had a variety of things they would do.

They'd train, of course, getting better with all of their current weapons, and trying out new ones. Knowing Percy's skill with a bow, or lack thereof, the hunters didn't let him anywhere near the range. Hoping it wasn't a son of Poseidon thing, they decided to let Alex try. Surely he couldn't be as bad as Percy, right?

He was worse.

He was much, much worse.

Where Percy would somehow shoot arrows and they would flop backwards, Alex's would actually shoot backwards. How was that even possible? Even Artemis couldn't say. Orion must've been a special case, to be a son of Poseidon and a good archer.

Another of their favourite pastimes was to help the hunters cook, or maintain weapons with them. Cooking was a lot more fun, knowing that they would actually be welcome to eat with the hunters. Sometimes they would just sit with some of the hunters around the campfire, and just talk. Some of the hunters actually turned out to be quite chill. Knowing what depression was like, Percy was able to help a lot of the others get over the guilt of losing comrades, and the trauma of abuse from their childhoods.

There was only one thing Percy was afraid to do at the camp.

Have any kind of contact with Artemis.

Knowing he'd started falling for a goddess who couldn't like him back, he started avoiding her at all costs. He couldn't let himself fall any further.

One time, when they had almost crossed each other's paths while hunting, Percy abandoned Oscar and flew away on his trident like it was a broomstick from Hogwarts. So a bewildered dog bumped into a just as bewildered goddess a few seconds later, while Percy sighed in relief.

So now, imagine Percy's panic when he finished eating his dinner and mist traveled to his favourite spot to start patrol, only to see Artemis sitting waiting for him.

Percy's only outward sign of discomfort was a gulp, but internally he was freaking out. What was he to do now? He decided to play it safe.

"Lady Artemis, did you want something?" He asked, albeit a little nervously. Artemis gave him a smile, which set his heart racing.

He really wished it wouldn't do that.

"I thought we'd agreed you wouldn't call me that?" She said, still smiling. " And really, I just wanted to talk to you. Is it wrong for a goddess to want to talk to her guardian?" She continued. Percy scratched his head.

"Well technically, I'm the guardian of the whole hunt-"

"Percy, I think we both know why Apollo wanted you here. I am his sister, after all." Artemis cut in, laughing. "Come on, let's walk. You are meant to be patrolling, right?" She said, getting up.

Percy surreptitiously glanced at her as they walked. Wow, she was ho- Dammit, he was doing it again!

"So," she started as they walked, "Have you found out anything more about why the monsters are acting more cohesively?"

Percy wiped his forehead in relief. Thank the gods, that was a topic that wouldn't lead anywhere near feelings.

"They're being led by two giants. I'm not sure who, but they seem to have a grudge, especially against the hunters, Camp Jupiter, and me. They haven't made any proper moves yet, they're just testing our strength for now." He said, presenting all the information he had to her.

"Hmmm. Okay. That means we're still okay to do our next hunt." She said, pondering her options for the present. Her mind wandered for a bit, and she found herself looking at Percy. She wished he would forgive the rest of the hunters and get along with them.

Obviously for his good, not so she could get closer to him, right? Right.

"Is something wrong, Arty?" Percy grinned, having noticed that she was staring at him. "Can't keep your eyes off this handsome face?" He laughed. Wait, he realised, why was he saying things like that? It was like inviting a response in kind.

Artemis huffed when he called her that. She hated when Apollo used it, but with Percy it felt... different. But she couldn't let him know that, could she. "Slow down there, Narcissus. I'm going back to the camp, I've got some things to do." She said, putting a haughty look on her face. Really, she just wanted to sort through what she was feeling.

After Artemis flashed away, Percy put his head in his hands. What was wrong with him? Why did he have to want the least attainable person around? He sighed and shook his head, continuing on his patrol.

He hadn't wanted to admit it to himself before, but he knew now.

Percy had fallen for her hard.

The next day, at the breakfast tent, Artemis stood up to inform them of something. "We're going on one of our biggest hunts in a while, so prepare yourselves." She called out.

"What are we hunting, milady?" Thalia asked. Percy curled his lip in disdain at the sound of her voice.

"We are going to be hunting... The Aetos Kaukasios." She said ominously. Everyone there, knowing Ancient Greek, automatically translated it in their heads.

"Caucasian Eagle." Percy muttered. He turned to his brother. "Alex, do you kno-" He paused at the sight before his eyes.

Alex, and the daughters of Athena he'd been talking to, had gone pale in fear from just the name.

"It has reformed for the first time, since Hercules killed it, and we have been tasked with killing it again. That is all." Artemis said, turning back to talk to one of the senior hunters, another one of Celyn's friends that had hesitated to kill Percy.

Percy and Alex, having finished their food, got up and left eating area. Their dogs got up, stretched, and slowly padded after them. Alex began to talk slowly, explaining what Percy didn't understand.

"The Caucasian Eagle... It was the bird that Zeus sent to rip out Prometheus' liver every day. It's said to have massive proportions, and unknown powers. It's a very dangerous foe, and I'm not sure that we'll all come out alive." He said, an unsure tone in his voice.

Percy whistled. Unknown powers, huh. Even when they manage to track the thing down, they wouldn't know what to expect.

"Well, it seems they're moving out. We'd better get going," Percy said, breaking the silence that had fallen as they thought about their new adversary. Thalia called them over as well.

They ignored her on principle, of course.

It was only when Celyn and Grace called them over that they jogged towards the main group. Thalia saw this, and looked down sadly. What did she even do that was that bad, she thought indignantly, for her to be treated like this? She shook her head and turned away.

The company moved out, and they started jogging, Alex and Artemis in the lead and Percy bringing up the back, talking to Grace. They had run for around an hour before Percy recognised their surroundings.

"Oh, please no..." He said, immediately stopping.

Grace slowed down with him and looked at him worriedly, while the hunters close to them slowed down and looked back.

"What is it?" Grace asked quietly. Percy shook his head, unwanted memories coming back.

"We're here again." He murmured anxiously, struggling to maintain control.

"This is Camp Half-Blood."

Merry Christmas, everybody! What did you all get?(assuming you're not staying up this late to read on wattpad). I'm up really late, so that's why I'm posting it now. Maybe as a present, I'll get you another couple chapters by the end of the day! Adiós!