ELEVEN

Fifteen Months Later

The two tridents clashed against each other and locked heads. Percy jumped and flipped over his brother using his trident as leverage, then swung his weapon downwards at Alex with all the momentum he'd gained as he fell. The other demigod spun around and blocked it, then thrust for his brother's throat. Percy however had spun his weapon as it was blocked and suddenly the spear tip on the bottom was resting on Alex's neck.

"Dammit,  I almost had you there!" His brother exclaimed while he grinned. The two, after training nonstop for all this time, were now both on par with any god in terms of fighting skills. Obviously, in terms of power in general they were still heavily outmatched by all major gods, but they didn't really mind that.

They had, however, found out a good deal about their water powers. The tridents enhanced their power over water and their earthshaker powers, so Percy tried to teach Alex to sense the molecules in the air using them.

However, when Percy told him to try change the vapour into water, Alex concentrated, and out came ice from nowhere. Alex eventually managed to be able to vapour travel, but he found manipulating ice a lot easier.

They had traveled up and down the east coast, always spending each day in a different place, always training. They hadn't really seen a point in taking up on Apollo's offer, but after a week of nothing to do had decided that's what they'd work towards.

And work they did.

Finally, after this duel, Percy had deemed Alex ready.

"If I'm being honest, at this point I feel like I could take on multiple gods in a weapons fight and come out on top. And I think you're ready to face Artemis to win Apollo's deal." He said jubilantly. He'd managed to lock away any leftover feelings he had about the betrayal after a few months, leaving the same old Percy behind. Alex knew, though, that any reminder could set him off again.

The boys spent the rest of the day resting, and slept. The next morning, they called Apollo, who they knew had been watching over them to make sure they were safe. He flashed behind them a few minutes later, and grinned.

"What can I do for you, guys?" He yelled. "It's been ages, it's awesome to see you!"

"I see you still haven't gotten over that word in spite of your sister's efforts." Alex said dryly and they all laughed.

"Speaking of your sister, I think Alex is ready to fight her," Percy said. Apollo grinned in delight, knowing that his sister would be getting protected soon. He mentally called her, and she appeared next to him.

She looked around, and saw the two sons of Poseidon staring at her. She blushed for some reason, and then realized. "Don't tell me-"

"You made a deal! Gotta honour it. Alex is waiting, come on!" Apollo bounced about in excitement.

Artemis sighed, and whipped out her hunting knives. "Let's get this over with quickly then, boy," she said, irritated.

Alex grinned back and shot out his hand to the side as the goddess of the moon leapt at him. His trident smacked into his palm and his fingers closed around it, raising it just in time to start blocking. Artemis started slashing at inhuman speeds, and Alex had a little difficulty keeping up before he managed to slip between her slices and land a blow.

Artemis looked up, confused. How was she on the ground? She had felt the trident's shaft slam into her side, but he hadn't swung his arm round at all, so it wasn't possible. How?

Alex grinned at her confusion. She didn't know he could make his trident fly around, he thought. He coul use that to his advantage. He twirled his weapon and thrust it at her, just in time to fling her to the ground again.

Angered, the goddess of the moon whipped out her bow and drew the bowstring back, aiming straight for his face. Alex dodged, gulping. She really wasn't holding back. The next shaft of moonlight she shot, he just shot some ice at, deflecting it.

Percy and Apollo jumped out of the way hurriedly and glared. "WATCH WHERE YOU DEFLECT IT, MAN!" They yelled in unison.

Alex just grinned. He had an idea. He let Artemis get in close, slashing at him with her dual hunting knives again. He solidified vapour into ice everywhere she hit, creating temporary armour plating just before each blow hit. The pieces of ice shattered into ice when Artemis hit them, but just joined together again in the next spot.

Percy smirked. His teaching, along with Alex's natural battle sense, was really showing. Without it, his brother would already be dead. Being protective, he'd had the urge to jump in and help multiple times, only being stopped by Apollo until he could shake it off.

Artemis stopped her attacks and hung back, looking for an opening she could penetrate this pesky demigod's defence with.

Her gaze was suddenly drawn to Percy, standing behind the dueling area. Ever since the business with Atlas during the Titan war, she'd had strange feelings about him. Something was wrong with him. He didn't act like other men, he was actually a decent person. She acknowledged that, but there was something else, something she couldn't quite place. What could it b-

Alex had noticed that the goddess's attention had been drawn elsewhere. Well, who was he to complain? He leapt forward, hurling his trident at Artemis. Only Percy, having trained with him for months on end, noticed the small pebble he slipped into his hand while his opponent was distracted and dodging.

Artemis, believing Alex to be unarmed, leapt at the boy with a smile on her face, ready to gloat to her brother about the bet.

Only to be flung back as Shifter sprung to life, hitting her in the face. As she flew back, Alex's trident hit her on it's way back to him. She slumped for a second, then tried to shake it off and started towards the boy again, cursing.

Only for Alex to swing his trident like a baseball bat, sending her flying for at least 10 seconds.

Apollo looked into the distance with his hand over his eyes. "FORE!" He yelled.

"Wrong sport, Apollo. For the sun god, you're not very bright, are you?" Percy sniggered, while Apollo glared. Soon neither of them could contain their laughter.

Just then, a silver blur shot towards them. They both looked worriedly at Alex, but the teen stood his ground determinedly.

Just before it reached him, Alex swung his trident as if to home run the goddess again. As Artemis dodged, he quickly made some ice under her pivoting foot, making her slip. In the fraction of a second it took for her to regain her balance, the son of the sea spun into an offensive position with his trident head pushing at her abdomen and his spear point pricking her neck.

As soon as Artemis realised her situation, she could do nothing but glare at the boy with such intensity he was sure she'd assume her true form. Then, his rescuers came.

"Well well, would you look at that. My sister defeated, who would've thought it, eh Perce?" The sun god laughed.

Percy just rolled his eyes. Of course Apollo wouldn't wait till Alex was a safe distance away before antagonising her.

Artemis looked at the three confusedly. There's no way this could've happened. She'd been beaten by a fourteen year old, and a boy at that.

Well, at least it wasn't as bad as Ares.

Sorry it's been a while guys. Wasn't really sure how to continue the story, but I think I've got a good enough plot for the next few chapters at least. Also, could I get some name suggestions for Percy and Alex's tridents?