Chapter 4- Training Rilian

As Rilian was now fourteen years of age. Caspian decided it was time to teach him how to sword fighting years ago but had waited. I was to teach him archery. Rilian would only be taught by the best. The best archer was me. As for sword fighting, it was pretty close between Glenstorm and Caspian. So they both helped teach him.

He wanted Rilian to be able to pick whatever he wanted but still keep his options open. Like Caspian knew how to shoot an arrow but he preferred sword fighting. I knew how to sword fight, a little, but I preferred archery. Caspian had taught me a few basic skills to sword fighting since what happened at the Lone Islands. It was for my safety. But I knew I would never use it except as a last resort.

As we were teaching Rilian, I noticed he had a certain fondness to the sword. He would pick sword fighting. I could tell by the look on his face when it was time for his archery lesson. He didn't hate it but it wasn't his favorite. Archery wasn't something he was passionate about. Caspian didn't seem to notice though.

Once he hit the target in the middle several times, I stopped teaching him. It was up to him to learn. All he had to do was get more skilled at it. I could show him the different positions and best stances for firing an arrow and hitting a target. One for hitting an unmoving target and one for a moving target. But actually being able to do it, was dependent on the wielder of the bow.

My bow helped me to never miss a target and I let him use it once or twice. He could hit the target but my bow was special. I even made sure I practiced with a different bow once in awhile, to keep in check. It was the same for him. I still hit the targets in the middle with a different bow. Rilian managed to sometimes. I had years of experience so no one could compare us to each other. Sword fighting was definitely his strong suit. Caspian would be glad.

I would watch Caspian and Rilian fight from one of the windows. Rilian just had a glow that I told me he enjoyed it. While the two of them were busy, I would go to the balcony and transform. The phoenix part of my life, was kept from Rilian. At least for now. Until Caspian and I believed he would understand.

It was hard for many people to understand at first. Caspian was one of the few, besides Lucy, to not question it. Peter, Susan, and Edmund asked questions about it for a while. Then eventually they stopped. They understood not to keep asking.

We didn't want the same with Rilian. But if he saw me and asked questions, we wouldn't lie. All we wanted to do was keep the phoenix a part of me but not scare Rilian, though I was his mother. I would transform a fly about while Rilian was practicing his sword fighting skills.

After Rilian was well trained in both archery and sword fighting, we decided that it was time for Rilian to choose. I smiled as Rilian was making his decision. Caspian looked at me and saw me smiling.

"You think he's going to pick archery?" he asked.
"I already saw which one he was going to pick long ago," I answered.
"Oh? Really? Which one?"
"You'll see."

Even though there was no weapon to choose from, I saw him hesitating between the bow and the sword. He was worried with the weapon he was going to pick. It showed me that he was afraid to disappoint either one of us. He looked at both of us. Caspian was smiling encouragingly. I gave him a light smiling telling him that it was okay and to pick whichever one he felt more comfortable with. Rilian must've got the message because he immediately decided on the sword.

Caspian smiled proudly. Rilian had chose something that he was good at. He could help Rilian improve on anything that he felt the need to. The two of them looked at me. Rilian frowned.

"I'm sorry. It's just that I-" he began but I cut him off.
"It's okay. I noticed it almost immediately," I told him. "I would watch you while you were sword fighting. You had a certain look that showed me you really enjoyed it. However when I was teaching you archery, you didn't have the same look. I knew. That's kind of why I cut how long our archery lessons were."

Caspian and Rilian were shocked. Neither one of them understood how I could almost always read their faces. I didn't either but after many years, I should definitely be able to read my son's face. He wouldn't be able to hide much, unless I let him. Caspian would take a little longer. I smiled to myself as I thought of this.

I just laughed at them. They smiled and finally joined in. We were happy. Rilian made the right choice and I wasn't disappointed.