Chapter 5- Exploring Narnia

After choosing his weaponry, Rilian wanted to go for a ride through the Narnian forest. He hadn't really left the castle grounds yet. Caspian was a bit hesitant but I told him he would be fine. He only agreed if someone went with him. Rilian was still fairly young and Caspian didn't want him to go alone. Anyone would try and kill the Prince. Caspian had matters of state and couldn't leave.

I offered to go with Rilian and Rilian said it would be fine. After all, I knew the Narnian woods better than some of the Narnians. I assumed he also knew I would be better than any Telmarine he could take. Some still didn't appreciate a Narnian Queen.

The only thing Rilian didn't know was why. He thought I was a Telmarine too. Caspian had corrected him once but I knew he thought it was a joke. Then I told him a story about some of Narnia's past. Even though he enjoyed it, he seemed skeptical as to how true it was.

The phoenix was the only way to prove to him I was a Narnian. I wanted to tell him today. Caspian knew it was one of my reasons for going as that was one of the reasons I offered to go with him. The other was because I finally had as reason to go and visit my friends in the woods.

So I grabbed my weapons, my cloak, a small satchel with a horn, and went to the stable. I selected two horses. One was Caspian's horse, Destrier, for Rilian. Detrier was the one that Rilian liked the most. Besides the others were a bit wild at times.

The other was a talking horse, Lucillle, and was considered mine. Most people didn't ride a talking horse unless going into war, or if they let considered you important, like royals. She had been named after Queen Lucy, but since everyone considered the royals names to be sacred her nickname was the only thing they shared.

I thought it fit perfectly because Lucille was a lot like Lucy. A few of them included that they both were kind, brave, and a true believer that Aslan could do anything. They also could also make anyone smile and make a bad situation better.

I had just finished saddling the horse when Rilian walked in. He had his sword and was dressed in his full battle armor. Lucille neighed, trying not to laugh. I walked towards him, holding in my laugh.

"What's all that for?" I asked him. "I didn't know we were headed to battle."
He smiled and then spoke. "Father says to always be prepared."
"What he meant was to always be armed with your weapon. That way if we run into any surprises, which we shouldn't, you would always be able to protect yourself. He didn't mean for you to bring your whole armor."
"What if we get into trouble and no one's there to help us?"
"I invited Glenstorm and a few others, Narnians and Telmarines included, to come along. It's just a small group. A royal should never lean the castle ground completely alone."
"What about Queen Susan's horn?" he asked, remembering the story.
"I'm in charge of protecting it, but I don't believe we should use it. You see, it's their gift not ours, to use."
"But father uses King Peter's sword," he argued.
"That was given to him by the High King himself. It was a sign of him handing the Kingdom over to your father. He can use it as he sees fit. However, it's my duty, as I was chosen by the Narnians, to protect the gifts of the Kings and Queens of Old. That includes High King Peter's sword and shield, even if your father uses it. I have to be sure it's never lost. I also protect Queen Susan's horn, bow and quiver of arrows, as well as Queen Lucy's healing cordial and dagger. Each of them are being kept in a safe place."

As I explained this, he looked at me in awe. I smiled at him and Rilian returned it. Protecting them seemed exciting to him.

"One day it could be your job to keep them safe," I pointed out. "But the Narnians are the ones that decide."

He smiled excitedly. Protecting the relics of the Kings and Queens of Old is important. If one of our enemies got their hands on Susan's horn, Peter's sword, or Lucy's healing cordial they would be able use them against us. Those were important to us and we'd do everything we could to keep our enemies from destroying them, even cooperate. They were part of our history. That was why only a few people were supposed to know where it was. The royal family were the ones who knew right now, except Rilian. We had to keep it a secret.

"Father said they were on The Dawn Treader. Are they still there?" Rilian asked.
"No. They couldn't stay there. Queen Susan's horn is used to signal for help but we're not supposed to use. It might call someone back..."
"That could be bad?" he questioned.
"If we're not at war, yes. Aslan wouldn't approve."

Rilian nodded, understanding. Then Glenstorm and the other Narnians joined us in the stables. Rilian and I jumped onto the horses and rode to the forest. The weather was good and signaled a good day. At least I hoped it would and we wouldn't run into any trouble.

The wind blowing from the speed of the horses made me feel like I was flying again. I was determined to tell Rilian about it as we explored the woods. He was going to meet some friends of mine first though. Mostly Trufflehunter and a few other centaurs I had became friends with throughout the years. Any other Narnians would be those we came across during the ride.

We couldn't go too far into the woods. Not with just our small group. There were still a few rebels hiding in the Narnian forest. They stayed quiet though. Until they thought it was the perfect time. The Queen and the Prince with only a few Narnians to protect them would be easy targets. That was why I wouldn't go alone or unarmed on trips like this.

The loyal Narnians to the crown had a hard time finding the others in hiding. I figured it was because both sides supported Aslan. Some just didn't approve of Caspian or me as a ruler. But there had to be something bigger. These Narnians wouldn't just turn without having a powerful person backing them. Like the White Witch had been the support of Narnians before...

Rilian and I soon found Trufflehunter. He had moved closer to the Narnian castle after it was rebuilt. Apparently he wanted to be closer because Trumpkin had started staying more at the castle. The two were good friends. I introduced Rilian to him, though Trufflehunter already knew of him. We talked for a bit and the Narnians did some catching up with Trufflehunter. Then we said our goodbyes. I had to find a good place to show Rilian. It wasn't enough to just tell him.

Finally, we reached a open area of the forest. Narnians weren't in the area because of it. I pulled Lucille's reins and the others stopped as well. Jumping off her back, I turned and face Glenstorm.
"Could you give us a moment alone?" I asked them.
"As you wish Milady," Glenstorm replied and he led the others back into the trees. Somewhere they could see us but not hear us.
"What's wrong? Why did we stop in this part of the forest?" Rilian asked confused.
"I have something to tell you. It's something I've decided not to hide from you any longer," I told him.
"What is it?" he asked sounding worried. I assured him it was nothing bad.

Then I explained everything I knew. Everything that Aslan had told me about the phoenix. And why he wouldn't be the phoenix. It took awhile since I also had to explain my past. At least what I could remember. There was a part of my past, from before I met Aslan, that I didn't know. I couldn't remember it.

He seemed shocked. I hoped he would take it okay. But I didn't know. I wanted him to would see the phoenix so Rilian could understand it better, understand his Narnian roots. After I showed him, he looked at me in awe. Then he gave me a hug.

"That was amazing. You're the only one? I think it's wonderful. It makes you unique," Rilian told me all in one breath. I laughed. He took it well.
I smiled. "Yeah. It does."

However our moment was ruined when I heard a twig snap. Rilian didn't hear it but he saw and felt me tense up. It was coming from the wrong direction to be our protection. But before Rilian could say a word, I placed a finger to my lips telling him to be quiet. We walked towards our horses. I grabbed a bow and an arrow from the quiver. Rilian pulled his sword from his sheath at Destier's side.

The Narnians must've saw our movements and joined us, swords drawn. We listened for anymore noises and I heard hoofbeats and footsteps. They weren't familiar to me. Something wasn't right and I gestured for Rilian to stand behind me. Glenstorm and the others surrounded us but I pushed my way forward. I aimed my bow towards the noise but I had to wait. They could be friendly so I couldn't fire right away. But perhaps I waited too long.