Chapter 16- Finding Rilian

It had been explained to us that the Knight was under some kind of enchantment. Everyday at a certain hour, he would become vicious and turn into a serpent.

At least that is what he told us that he was told. Whenever he awoke from the the enchantment, he wouldn't remember anything. Now the Earthmen were coming to tie him to a silver chair as to keep him from hurting anyone.

We had begged him to let us stay, but he said he would be unable to convince the Earthmen to let us. His Lady was the only one that was present during his ravings.

Instead he had us hide while they tied him up. He told us he would call for us after he had been untied. But he also told us we could watch him in his ravings. As long as we didn't untie him.

Jill wished not to see but Puddleglum was convinced that we would learn some things about this place and the Lady while he was raving. I couldn't say I disagreed.

The Lady didn't seem as wonderful to me as she did to the Knight. I know Puddleglum never liked her from the start. He stated that she was probably a witch and an enemy. I was inclined to agree with him.

"Come on in, friends," the Knight called. We came out of hiding and he spoke quickly. "Now listen carefully. The spell is not yet upon me. You must make no noise. I told them you were asleep. They have told me that I beg people to let me out of these cords and this chair. You must not. No matter what I say. For if you do, I will kill you and then I will become a dreadful serpent."
"No need to fear us setting you free. We have no need to meet wild men or serpents," Puddleglum told him.
"Yes!" Jill and I said together.
Then in a whisper, Puddleglum said to us, "All the same though, we should be on our guard. He'll be very cunning. Can we trust one another? Do we promise that no matter what he says we won't loosen his ropes? Whatever he says?"

We all agreed. Puddleglum was right. We had no need be face to face with a wild man and a serpent. There was nothing he could say that would make us free him. That's what I kept telling myself. I hoped it would be true.

Then the Knight began moaning and complaining about enchantments. It was quiet at first, barely audible. He had been speaking in a low voice. Then he looked up at us. He stared at us. His voice was clear as he spoke this time.

"Quick! I am sane right now. Every night at this time, I'm sane. If only I could get out of this enchanted chair, it would stay that way. I should be a normal person again. But every night they tie me to this chair and then my chance is gone. You are not enemies. I'm not your prisoner!" he told us, trying to get us to release him.
"Don't move children," Puddleglum reminded us to make sure we didn't release him.
"I beg you, listen to me. Have they told you that if I'm released from this chair I'll kill you and become a serpent?" he asked and we all stole a glance to each other. "I can tell by the way you react that they have. That's a lie. It is at this time that I am in my right mind. The rest of the day, I am under the enchantment. You are not Earthmen or witches. Why would you be on their side? Please release me!"

Once again, we reminded the other not to move. We didn't want to release him.

The Knight continued to rant and beg. Still, we made no move to untie him from the chair. He kept begging and pleading. Everything he said was for us to untie him. But we didn't, though I did want to at times.

He was very convincing. The Knight even told of how the witch was the one who made sure he stayed in the chair. He said if we freed him, we would be his friends. If we didn't we would be his enemies. Still we did nothing. None us of even dared to discuss with the others about letting him go.

But then he said something that none of could ignored.
"Once and for all," he begged, "I beg you to set me free. By all fears and all loves, by the bright skies of the Overland, by the Great Lion, by Aslan himself..."

'By the Great Lion, by Aslan himself.' That was what he said. Aslan had told us that we needed to help the first person on our mission who swore, or pleaded, in Aslan's name. We were all worried. What good was it to pay attention to Aslan's signs if we were going to leave this man tied up now? He was the first person we met that pleaded by Aslan's name.

Puddleglum decided that we should release him. Jill and I agreed, but we told each other goodbye first. Puddleglum too. If it was just a trick and he killed us, at least we had said our goodbyes.

Then Puddleglum and I drew our swords. The two of us charged at the Knight in the chair. We used our swords to cut the cords that were holding him. They were strong ropes so they took a little effort but eventually the Knight was free.

As soon as the Knight was free, he rushed to the other side of the room and picked up his sword. It had been removed from him when he was tied up.

He said 'you first' and rushed at the Silver chair. The silver fell away from the chair and in a moment it was all that was left of the chair.

The Knight was very skilled with his sword. Much better than Puddleglum and I so I dearly hoped he wouldn't fight us. But as the chair itself broke there was a bright light, a sound that sounded like thunder and then a horrible smell.

The Knights spoke to the chair saying "Lie there, you vile thing of sorcery in case your mistress should ever use you again for another victim." With that he turned and looked at us. His face showed surprise. "What?!" he said to Puddleglum. "You're a Marsh-wiggle? A real, live, honest, Narnian Marsh-wiggle?"
"Oh so you have heard of Narnia," said Jill to the Knight.
"Did forget it while I was under the spell? No matter, that and all things are now over. You can believe that I know of Narnia for I am Rilian, the Prince of Narnia. Caspian the great King is my father," he told us.

I was shocked. This Knight was the Prince we had been sent to find. Puddleglum kneeled before him. Jill and I both did the same. Puddleglum spoke to Prince Rilian.
"Your Highness, we have come here for no other reason than to find you," he said to the Prince.
"And who are you, my other friends who have helped free me?" Prince Rilian said to Jill and I.
"We were sent here by Aslan himself from another world to find you, Your Highness," I explained. "I am Eustace. I sailed with him when he went to find the Lost Lords. He was there with someone named Ana as well."

At first the Prince showed no expression except gratitude for helping him. But at the mention of Ana's name his expression changed quickly. First it showed excitement but then faded sadness. I noticed Puddleglum had turned to look at me as well. But neither said anything. The Prince continued on as if nothing had happened.

"I owe all three of a you a debt that I can never repay," he said. "And what of my father? Is he still alive?"
"He was alive when he set sail again. But the King is very old. It is likely that he will die before he returns from the voyage," Puddleglum stated, sadly.
"He's old? How long have I been under the power of the witch?"
"It's hard to say for sure. But it's been more than ten years," said Puddleglum.

Prince Rilian at first was shocked. But then he thought for a moment and remembered what Puddleglum said was true.

Before anything else could happen though, we heard footsteps on the stairs. At first, he wanted me to lock the door but he decided to try and fool them instead. We were to follow his lead. So we watched as he walked to the door and flung it open. However no one ever wanted to see who was there.