Chapter 20- Return to Narnia

(Thousands of Years later)
Eustace's Point-Of-View

One moment Jill and I were on a train with Professor Digory Kirke, Polly Plummer, Peter, Edmund, and Lucy Pevensie. The next moment we were standing in Narnia in front of the King who was tied to a tree. He was to be killed later. Narnia was in a lot of trouble.

Earlier, about a week ago, the seven of us were eating at the Professor's house. Suddenly, a figure appeared before us and he had a Narnian look about him. It scared each of us at first until we realize that the other could see him as well. Peter tried to get him to speak but they made no noise. We had no idea what it was. If it was a phantom or even a dream. The thing never said a word to help us figure out what it was.

Then it started to fade away. It was in the room one moment and then gone. Everyone looked at each other. We were left surprised, shocked, and worried.

After that, we realized we were faced with a problem. Something was up but we didn't know how to get to Narnia. No one can go just by wanting. Besides Peter, Edmund, and Lucy weren't supposed to return to Narnia. It was then that the Professor told us of these Magic Rings. That was how the Professor and Miss Plummer had first gotten to Narnia when they were children.

But those Rings had been buried in the yard of a house in London. Not where we were. So then our only problem now was how to get to them. Peter and Edmund came up with a plan. The two went to London to get into the garden from the back. Of course they disguised themselves so that if anyone saw them, they would think they were there to fix some problem.

Their plan worked as Peter soon sent us a messages informing us that they got the Rings. But then Jill and I had to go back to school. We were the only ones who still had to. All the others had finally grown up, Lucy just a year before. Instead, Peter and Edmund planned to meet somewhere on the way to school to give us the Rings.

So we got on a train. The Professor, Miss Polly, and Lucy decided to come with us. It wasn't like we minded. We wanted to stay together as long as we could anyways. Just as we reached the station where Peter and Edmund were supposed to meet us, I looked out the window to see if I could spot them amongst the crowd. Then there was a sudden jerk and loud noise. Suddenly we were in Narnia with His Majesty tied to a tree. He was the one we had seen about a week earlier.

Of course we explained all of this to the King. He would give us strange looks once in awhile because he had no idea what we were talking about. But he understood the main point of the story. And as we told him, we had been walking. We had to get to safety. As soon as the enemies of the King knew he was missing, they would be after us. Luckily, we had an advantage of being far ahead of them before they would even notice.

But I noticed it was getting incredibly warmer out. It was night when we arrived but now the sun was out and I was getting uncomfortable in the heat. I didn't want to say much at first. But eventually it slipped out. Luckily, the King told us that we were nearly there. We had reached the battlements.

But it wasn't a very nice place to stay. The King apologised and we told him not to worry about it. Jill and I understood that this was the best he could do now. It was sad that was the case though.

King Tirian gave us each some chain mail. Not that of Narnia but of Calormen which actually worked in our favor. He also gave us some kind of juice that once we rubbed it on our skin made us as dark as the Calormenes. After it dried, we could wash and it wouldn't fade. Then we put on the rest of the Calormen armor that King Tirian had gathered from previous battles. He thought they would come in handy at some point and they did.

He gave Jill a bow and a quiver of arrows. After spending time in Narnia, she had tried learning archery back home. She was pretty good but no where near the skill of anyone in Narnia. We both knew it and I wasn't much better either. But Tirian refused to let us go around unarmed anymore so she took the weapons.

Afterwards, he had us eat and then tried to get us better skilled with our weapons. I was pretty good at sword fighting because of my previous adventures. Reepicheep had taught me a few things as had Puddleglum. However, that was with a straight Narnian blade. It was much harder with a curved Calormene sword. Most of the skills I been taught and picked up now had to be unlearned. But His Majesty told me I had a good eye and was quick on my feet.

Jill was quite good. Though she wasn't up Narnia standards, she definitely wasn't awful. The King made sure to inform her of this. She had managed to shoot a rabbit for our meal the next day. Of course she hadn't shot a talking rabbit. King Tirian made sure she knew the difference.

Then we settled down for the night. But not all night as we couldn't wait for morning light to complete our plan. We had all agreed on what to do the next day. Our plan was to rescue Jewel the Unicorn. If we succeeded with that we would try to make our way Eastward. His Majesty wanted to see if we could meet up with the small army Roonwit, the Centaur, would be bringing from Cair Paravel.

I trusted the King would wake the two of us up when the time was right. The only thing I didn't know was if he would get any sleep himself. Surely he would. He wouldn't be much help to us if he was exhausted. But all I could do was wait until the morning.