Chapter 23- What's in the Stable?

Jill had removed the lion coat that Puzzle wore. It was too dangerous for us to leave him like that. Even Tirian knew it. We hid it in the brush as best as we could, as we didn't want to wander too far from the stable. But we also knew we needed a new plan.

We left the King alone with his thoughts- he needed to concentrate without us talking to him- to come up with another plan. Shift and Rishda Tarkaan continued their speech with the Narnians. I wasn't paying attention to a word they said, too focused on what to do next. His Majesty had a confused look on his face and we knew he had no idea. None of us could come up with one either. They all seemed to be ruined in some way.

Instead, we all peeked back around the corner of the stable. I felt like King Tirian was about to lead us away, back into the forest. But no one moved. We heard a familiar voice coming from somewhere in the crowd. I didn't know why I recognized it or why I thought it was familiar. But the others seemed to be just as confused.

"Forget what the monkey says!" shouted the voice. "We know he isn't going to bring his precious Aslan out! I'll tell you why: because he hasn't got him. He never did. All he had was an old donkey with a lion-skin on its back. Now he's lost that and he doesn't know what to do."

None of us could see the faces of because the fire. But the King seemed to know exactly who had spoken. But after a brief second more, I realized who it must've been as well. More voices repeated what the first voice had said: don't know what to do. It was Griffle the Chief Dwarf and the rest of the dwarfs.

"Silence!" Rishda Tarkaan suddenly shouted. "Silence, child of the mud! Listen to me, you other Narnians, or I will command my warriors to strike you with the edge of their swords. The Lord Shift has already told you of that wicked donkey. Do you think because of him, that there is no real Tashlan in the stable?! Do you? Beware, beware."
"No!" most of the ones in the crowd responded. But the dwarfs had a different idea.
"That's right Darkie," they said to the Calormene, "You've got it. Come on, monkey. Show us what's in the stable. Seeing is believing."
After a brief moment of silence, the Ape spoke. "You dwarfs think you are very clever, don't you? But not so fast. I never said you couldn't see Tashlan. Anyone who likes can see him."

Another quiet moment then a Bear began to speak. His voice was slow and puzzled.

"I don't quite understand all this," it grumbled. " I thought you said-"
"You thought?!" the Ape repeated, interrupting the bear. "As if anyone could call what goes on in your head thinking. Listen, you others. Anyone can see Tashlan. But He is not coming out. You have to go in and see him."
"Thank you, thank you, thank you," many voices clamored at once. "That's what we wanted. We can go in and see him face to face. And he'll be kind and all will be as it used to be."

The birds chattered and the dogs barked excitedly. They were all agreeing with the statement. Then most of the creatures rose to their feet and headed towards the stable. Within seconds the whole group would've been trying to scramble inside the stable.

But Shift spoke up before they could take another step.
"Get back! Quiet! Not so fast!"

Most of them stopped mid-step. Some had their tails waving in the air. But every single one of them had their heads turned to face the Ape.
"I thought you said-" the Bear began but was once again interrupted.
"Anyone can go in," Shift said. "But one at a time. Who'll go first? He didn't say he was feeling very kind. He's been licking his lips a lot since he swallowed up the wicked King just the other night. He's been growling a good deal this morning. I wouldn't much like to go into the stable tonight. But you go if you please. Who'd like to go in first? Don't blame me if he swallows you whole or blasts you into a cinder with the mere terror of his eyes. That's your affair. Now then! Who first? Perhaps one of you Dwarfs?"
"Dilly, dilly, come and be killed!" Griffle seemed to sneer. "How do we know what you've got in there?
"Oh!" the Ape cried. "So you're beginning to think there's something in there, now? Well all you Beast were making noise a minute ago. What's struck you dumb? Who's going in first?"