Chapter 11- Aslan's Country Once Again

Rilian's Point-Of-View

I watched her eyes close and I knew she was gone. No matter how hard I tried, I started to cry. She had saved my life, like she always did. With no regard of what happen to her, she saved everyone else. And now, my mother was gone. What was I supposed to tell father? The two of us had promised to return but only one of us would be alive. He would be filled with grief.

Burying my face in my hands I tried to stop the tears. My mother lay across my lap. She would want me to be strong but she would also want me to grieve. Right now, she would want me to be strong and get everyone back to the castle. So, I wiped the tears from my eyes and looked at my mother's face. The color was still there, but eventually it would fade.

Hearing hooves approach, I knew who it was. It had to be Lucille. She was the only horse that would come to comfort me. The others weren't like her. I reached up to pet her nose as she looked over my shoulder. Lucille must have known the Queen had passed away. The two of us stayed there staring at the lifeless body in my lap. Even when the footsteps of our party told us they had returned we still didn't move. Not until Drinian spoke up.
"Your highness," he said, "the serpent got away. I think it's best we head back to the castle and get the Queen some help. She won't last long with the poison."

None of them new she was already gone. I used Lucille to help me stand, leaving my mother lifeless on the ground. I couldn't carry her, as much as I wanted to. Turning around to face everyone, I watched their faces. Most of them thought she was still alive but the ones closest to me could tell she wasn't. Drinian's face fell in sadness.

"There is no need to rush back to the castle. The Queen has already passed," I told them trying to be strong. Everyone's faces showed deep sadness. "But can't mourn her death now. We need to return. My father will want to know all that happened."

As I said the last part, I noticed one of the dwarfs look at the ground. It seemed as though they were ashamed of something, but I didn't know why. There was no need for anyone to be ashamed. The serpent was the one that should paid. I promised myself right then and there that it would. Even if it took my entire life, I would find the serpent and kill it.

Drinian approached my mother's lifeless body and with a nod from me, he knelt down beside her. With my help, we lifted her off the ground and I followed him to the horses. Everyone mounted except for Drinian and myself. Lucille would have to head back without a rider and I looked at her sadly. She seemed to know this as well, but I couldn't read her face like my mother could.

One of the centaurs walked forward and held out his arms. Understanding the gesture and knowing he could carry her longer, Drinian handed him my mother and then we mounted our horses. The centaur walked up front, beside me, so that their Queen was still leading us home, even if she wasn't here.

___________________________
Ana's Point-Of-View

The bright light turned out to be the sky. I lay in the sand facing a beautiful, cloudless, blue sky. There was water nearby as I could hear it quietly lapping against the shore. I could also hear a what sounded like a wave, but it never crashed. Carefully, I sat up and looked around. The endless wave that I recognized was in front of me and the familiar lily covered water was behind me.

This was a place I knew. It was the last time I saw Reepicheep and when Caspian first told me how he felt about me. Along with that, this was also the place that Caspian told the Pevensies goodbye. It was a place I didn't expect to ever return. The edge of Aslan's Country. But this time it was different. There was no one with me. I was all alone as I rose to my feet. That was when I noticed my weapons were missing as well.