Chapter 7: Pretty Little Liars

I haven't stopped thinking about girls' night for the past two weeks. More specifically, I haven't stopped thinking about how much I wanted to kiss JJ or how it felt waking up next to her the next morning.

As per usual, I don't understand my feelings. JJ is my friend. She's my coworker. Dating her would be a terrible idea, but I can't deny the magnetic pull that draws me to her. I would've kissed her at the bar if I had been a little bit more drunk, so thank God I'd been pacing myself. I still feel bad when I think about the hurt that flashed in her eyes when I rejected her, though.

We haven't seen each other outside of work very much since that night because we have been slammed with paperwork, presentations, and consultations with various police departments, and for some reason, I miss her.

I'm running late this morning, and of course I get caught in traffic and at every single light between my house and the office.

When I finally arrive, I hurry into the elevator and press the button, fumbling with my bag as I do. I need more coffee, that's for sure.

The doors slide open, and I step out and walk toward the bullpen quickly. Maybe no one will notice that I'm late. I open the door and immediately something pops me in the head.

"Ooh, ah, what?" I say, rubbing my head and looking around wildly.

"Im so sorry, Emily!" Spencer Reid says with a laugh, looking sheepish and apologetic.

"What was that?" I ask, looking toward the ceiling. JJ and Garcia are laughing along with Reid. There's never a dull moment here.

"Dont you recognize a rocket when you see one?" Garcia tries not to laugh as she responds to me.

"I-I was merely demonstrating a physics law. I-I-I didn't mean to hit..." Reid explains quickly before I interrupt him.

"Oh, show me!"

"All right, uh, well turn around please," Spencer says looking at each of us.

"Turn around?" I ask, confused.

"Yeah he's not gonna show you how it's done..." JJ responds, rolling her eyes and turning around herself.

"A magician doesn't reveal his secrets," Spencer's tone makes it clear that this should be obvious.

"But i thought you said it was physics?" I ask as JJ rolls her eyes again and nods her head.

"Physics..magic..." Reid's voice trails off.

"Trust me it will not do you any good to argue with him," Garcia interjects, touching my shoulder and turning me around. I hear multiple sounds that I can't quite identify as Spencer sets up his trick.

"All right, all right, turn back and observe..." Spencer says, excitement in his voice. I can both see and hear the bubbling substance at the bottom of the "rocket". We wait for a few seconds before the rocket explodes.

We all laugh as the canister flies through the air and lands at Hotch's feet. Uh oh. This won't be good. We all begin to walk to our various workspaces as Hotch leans down and picks up the object at his feet.

"Physics magic?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes sir," Reid says, looking apologetic.

"Reid, we talked about this," Hotch says, walking toward the younger man.

"I'm sorry, sir," he responds, looking up at him.

"Really starting to get some distance on those," Hotch smiles just a little as he places the canister back on Reid's desk.