Chapter 9: Drunk History

JJ's lips are inches from mine, and I can't believe this is finally happening. I've been wanting to kiss her for ages, but I never really thought it would happen.

My gaze drifts down to her lips, and my heart starts pounding. She leans in slightly, so I lean in too and...

Right before her lips touch mine, JJ jumps back like she's been burned. I step back immediately and take my hands off her waist.

"What's wrong? Are you alright?" I say, hoping I didn't do something wrong.

"I...I've gotta go," the blonde walks out of the bathroom without a second glance, and I can't help but feel a little bit stung by her rejection.

I grab my shirt from the counter in front of me and take it to the hand dryer on the wall. I turn it on and let the loud noise drown out my thoughts as I take a few steadying breaths.

The way she reacted was weird. Her lips were about to touch mine one second, and the next she wouldn't even look at me. Did I do something? Are we going to be able to be normal again? Is my favorite friendship effectively ruined?

The familiar pain of rejection and the overwhelming fear of losing my friend threaten to crush me. I pull my shirt on over my head and feel my body relax slightly at its warmth. The counter under my hands is cold, and it helps center me.

A few deep breaths and one pep talk later, I plaster a smile on my face and walk back into the bar. 

"There you are, sweet cheeks! You can't even see where you spilled the drink, so that's good," Penelope links her arm through mine and pulls me to the dance floor. Even though dancing is not exactly what I want to be doing at the moment, I welcome the distraction. It'll keep me from looking for Jennifer for a little bit, at least.

The music is so loud, I can feel it vibrating through the floor. My body moves to the rhythm, and I smile as Garcia laces her fingers with mine and twirls me around. A few men try to dance with me, but I brush them aside. I'm definitely not in the mood for this today.

After a half hour, Garcia grabs me and turns me toward her.

"I think I need another drink. Want to come with?" she grins at me and offers me her arm again.

"Absolutely. God knows I need one too," I follow her off the dance floor and weave through the crowds to the bar.

We grab our drinks and make our way to the table to join Hotch, Haley, and Reid. Spencer is talking about God-knows-what, and I can't seem to focus on it. My eyes scan the room, and I realize I'm looking for JJ. Right before I stop myself, I see her. She's with a small group of men, and they're definitely all hitting on her.

Her blue eyes meet mine suddenly, and my breathing quickens. She sets her jaw, and turns to the man on her left. She runs a hand through his dark hair before sliding her fingers down his arm. He smiles and puts an arm around her, his fingers brushing the place mine had been less than an hour ago.

Jealousy fills my chest, and I swallow it down, throwing back the rest of my drink and turning back toward our group.

"So yeah, that's how football became one of America's most popular sports!" Reid's excited smile makes his eyes shine brightly.

"Thank you, for that explanation, but you still didn't answer my question," Hotch laughs as he looks at the younger man.

"Wait what was the question again?" Spencer smiles sheepishly, and I find myself smiling too. He's too adorable for his own good.

"I asked if you ever played football when you were a kid," our unit chief finishes the last of his beer and leans back.

"Do I look like I played any sports at any point in my life?" Reid asks, and everyone immediately breaks into laughter. "Okay guys, I just heard someone say Star Trek, so I'll be back." The youngest member of our team gets up and walks away from our table as the laughter fades.