Chapter 18: Atypical

I sit on the jet, trying to focus on the file in front of me. I've already read it, but I'm trying to make sure I know every detail before we arrive in Florida. After I realize I've not read a single thing for the past five minutes, I sigh and lean back in my seat.

My eyes wander until they land on Emily. I clench my jaw and blink back the tears that start to form. I hope I made the right decision by ending things. I really fucking love her, but I just can't do this right now. I need to keep being the perfect girl I've always been.

Emily must feel my eyes on her because she looks up at me before I have a chance to avert my gaze. Pain is evident in her eyes, and I watch as it clouds the determination that was there seconds ago. One thing I admire about Em is her ability to lock down her emotions and focus on a case. I need to get better about that...

No, what I need to get better about is pushing away my feelings for my coworker. Nothing good can come out of that, right? Okay, seriously, JJ, focus. We need to find this little girl.

I return my attention to the file in front of me, trying to see if there's anything I missed before. This poor baby. I can't even imagine what she's going through right now. I only hope we aren't too late.

"Alright team, listen up," Hotch's voice carries easily through the jet, and we all turn towards our unit chief. "We know the statistics about abducted children, so I know I don't need to remind you how urgent this case is."

"We need to work quickly, and we don't have time for mistakes. This unsub needs to be behind bars," Gideon adds.

"Morgan, you and Prentiss go to the latest abduction site. I doubt you'll find much there, but we need to see it anyway. Reid and Gideon, meet with the head of Disney's security and learn what you can about the first four abductions. JJ, set up a press conference for this afternoon. I'll talk to Marilyn's family and see if they remember anything leading up to her disappearance. We land in 30, so everyone try to rest for a few minutes. It's going to be a long day," Hotch closes the file in front of him and leans back in his seat before turning to look out the jet window.

...

Once we arrive, I head straight to the security office and begin making the phone calls necessary to put together a press conference. Once Hotch finishes talking with Marilyn's parents, I'm going to ask them to be a part of the conference.

I can't even begin to imagine what these poor parents must be going through. They're supposed to be on vacation, having a wonderful time. Unfortunately, bad people exist everywhere, including in the most magical place on earth.

I've been on the phone for the better part of an hour when Hotch finally finishes speaking to the parents.

"Alright, I think we may have gotten something," Hotch says, frowning slightly.

"What is it?" I ask, mentally preparing to add something new to the press conference we're having in 45 minutes.

"The Jones family has been here for three days so far, and I asked them if anything strange had happened since they arrived. At first they couldn't think of anything, but then Mrs. Jones remembered a man talking to them their first night. They had gone to Disney Springs to shop when a man approached them. He spoke only to Marilyn, and he offered to buy her a stuffed Minnie Mouse she had been looking at," Hotch shakes his head slightly. "Her mother felt weird about it and took Marilyn and left the store. She said she thinks she saw him again yesterday when they were in Epcot."

"So she was able to recognize him a second time?" I ask, raising my eyebrows.

"Yes, apparently he has a very distinct scar on the right side of his chin," Hotch replies, glancing down at the notepad in his hand.