Chapter 21: Love Island

I open my eyes as light filters through the blinds into my hospital room. I turn my head to the left and see JJ slumped over in the chair next to my bed. A smile tugs at my lips, and my heart swells the same way it has over and over again these past few days.

My injuries have been healing nicely, and I should be clear to go home this afternoon. I really want JJ to sleep in an actual bed again. There's no way that chair is comfortable, no matter how much she insists that it is.

My girlfriend is possibly the most stubborn person I have ever met, and I've met my fair share over the years. My heart pounds with excitement again. My girlfriend. The most beautiful, intelligent, amazing woman is my girlfriend.

Jayje must feel me staring at her because she stretches before slowly opening her bright blue eyes. They meet mine immediately, and she smiles. "Take a picture. It'll last longer," her tone is playful and light.

"Oh don't worry, I already got one. It goes very nicely with the one of you with your mouth hanging open I took while you were snoring at 2 am," I bat my eyelashes at her as her face reddens.

"Please tell me you're kidding," JJ rolls her eyes and buries her face in her hands for a moment.

"I'm definitely not kidding, but don't worry I will only use it to blackmail you every time you won't give me my way." I laugh as her jaw drops and she stands up, walking toward me quickly.

"I have a feeling that I could convince you to delete it," JJ says softly into my ear, nipping my earlobe.

"Mmm, there's only one way to find out," I cock my brow and bite my lip as she leans forward.

Our lips are almost touching when the door opens and we both pull back, our cheeks darkening.

"Good morning Agent Prentiss, Agent Jareau," the doctor walks in, chuckling to himself. "I see your morning is off to a good start."

"Yeah, um, it was," I stutter, barely looking him in the eye.

"Well, I have a feeling it's about to get a whole lot better," the doctor smiles kindly. "I'm going to give you one more examination, just to make sure everything is still healing properly, then you should be good to go."

"Yes! Finally I can get back to D.C.! Not that I don't love Orlando but..." I smile sheepishly at him, and he laughs again.

"But, you can't go back to work for another couple of weeks. Then it'll be strictly desk duty after that for another few weeks. Got it?" he raises an eyebrow, and I finally nod. If they think they can keep me out of work for that long, they're delusional.

"Don't worry; I'll make sure she follows instructions," JJ adds, and the look in her eyes when they meet mine takes my breath away.

I swallow, trying to control the way my body reacts to her. Especially before my exam...

...

Three hours later, Jennifer and I are walking through the parking lot toward the car, fingers entwined. I can't help but smile at the public display of affection; we weren't ever able to do this before in case someone saw...

My stomach tightens as I think about the daunting task of informing the rest of our team that we're dating. Well, Penelope already knows, and so do Morgan and Reid, but Hotch and Gideon are the ones I'm worried about anyway.

"Ready to go home?" JJ's cheerful voice shakes me from my thoughts.

"I was born ready, Jennifer Jareau," I respond with a smile, pulling her closer and pressing my lips to hers gently.