Chapter 1: New Girl

Author's Note: I really hope you enjoy reading this story as much as I enjoyed writing it. I promise the writing gets better as the chapters go. Let me know what you think in the comments!

I walk towards Hotch's office quickly. We have another case, and this one is bad. The case has to be bad for the BAU to get involved, but this one in particular is tough. Two separate killers in one city...

I slow my approach as I hear an unfamiliar female voice coming through the unit chief's open office door.

"Uh, well, I guess I was hoping you could tell me where to put my stuff," the unknown woman says.

"I'm sorry?" Hotch sounds genuinely confused.

"I'm supposed to start here today at the BAU."

"There's been a mistake."

"I don't think so, sir."

"There's definitely been a mistake." The hint of annoyance in Hotch's voice seems like my cue to enter the room. When I step into the doorway I see a woman, dark hair falling across her shoulders. Her back is to me, so I can't see her face, but Hotch's look of irritation makes me want to break up the tension in the room.

"Excuse me. We're getting started," I say, trying not to reveal that I had been eavesdropping.

"Thank you; I'll be right there." His tone is my dismissal, so I walk back the way I came, curious about the stranger, but returning my focus to the case at hand.

...

The days in St. Louis went by fairly quickly, and we all felt good after putting away two serial killers. On the jet, I find myself wondering about the woman in Hotch's office. Who was she? I figured someone would join the team at some point to replace Elle, but I hadn't necessarily expected it yet, especially since Hotch hadn't said anything to anyone.

I wonder if she is actually going to be joining the team or if there really was some kind of mistake. When we land and walk back into the bullpen, I see her standing next to Hotch's office; looks like I'll get my answer pretty soon.

Despite my curiosity, I don't take the time to study her too closely because exhaustion is dragging me toward the elevator and eventually, my bed. I'm looking forward to having a couple days off. The next briefing is going to be in a couple days at 10 am sharp.

...

I'm usually in the conference room earlier than the others, but when I walked in this morning, the new woman was seated at the round table. I haven't had the chance to see her face, so I take a moment to look at her. She leans back in her chair, sweeping her dark hair out of her eyes. She looks up as I study her, and her brown eyes crinkle at the edges as she smiles. My heart speeds up a little, startling me as I allow the corners of my mouth to tug upward slightly.

"I'm Emily Prentiss," she says, extending her hand.

"Jennifer Jareau, but most people call me JJ," I respond, shaking her hand firmly.

"Nice to meet you, Jennifer." My heart speeds up again as she says my name. I usually don't like being called Jennifer, but for some reason, the way she said it doesn't bother me at all.

She's gorgeous, I think as I bite my lip just a little. She cocks her eyebrow the slightest bit, and I feel my cheeks redden. A couple more agents enter the room, and I feel the slight tension between us vanish. I look away and smile at my friend, Penelope Garcia. She's wearing her usual bright colors, which always makes the day a little happier.