23. LOVERBOY

| CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE |

LOVERBOY.

THE FIRST QUIDDITCH GAME BACK after Christmas for the Gryffindors was against Slytherin. Ophelia was excited to go against the snakes; especially after becoming good friends with their Seeker and actually enjoying going against him (instead of being terrified of how good he was). 

It was absolutely freezing the morning of the game. A thin layer of frost rested upon the field around the school, resulting in Ophelia's hands and feet becoming completely numb as she (along with the rest of her team) walked out onto the Quidditch pitch. The cold, however, didn't seem to bother the crowd as they cheered as loudly as always, more than excited to watch the game (especially since Gryffindor vs. Slytherin games usually seemed far more exciting than the rest). 

Ophelia felt James' elbow brushing against her bicep, causing her to finally realise just how close the spectacled boy was standing near her. Not only that, but the warmth radiating off his body seemed to distract her from hearing the coach's usual speech (along with the rules that seemed to be directed mainly towards the snakes).

When the whistle blew, both teams finally flew up into the air. Ophelia felt more than relived due to the fact that even though it was extremely cold, at least it wasn't windy. When the second whistle echoed through the pitch, the game finally began.

The blonde Seeker found herself flying higher up, trying to give herself the best view of where the Snitch could've disappeared to. However, her blue eyes found James Potter's figure as he skilfully flew past the Slytherin Chasers, tricking them by leaning towards one direction and then flying off in another one. There was no denying that the boy was skilled and part of her wanted to just be in the stands, able to watch him for the entirety of the game. As soon as that thought popped into her head she felt her eyes widening in shock. Sure, she always knew he was talented, but she had never seem this interested in him. 

"Maybe look for the Snitch and not at your loverboy," A teasing voice called out to her from behind, barely heard by the blonde due to the cheering erupting from the supporting lions as James scored a goal.

A dark red blush covered her cheeks (it could've totally been from the cold though) as she glanced over her shoulder at Regulus. He grinned at her teasingly as she shook her head at him, "He's not my loverboy," She quickly said, hoping the rest of the players were too busy with the Quaffle and Bludgers to hear the conversation between the pair, "I was just looking for the Snitch."

Regulus flew slightly closer, "Unless it's on Potter's head, I don't think you're going to find it."

Ophelia's cheeks burned with heat, causing her whole body to warm up and suddenly it felt like they were playing in the middle of the summer and not in the dead of winter, "Shut it, Black."

Regulus laughed at the blonde's reaction, something that caused her to roll her eyes before her head snapped to the side. Her crystal blue eyes widened ever so slightly as she watched the Snitch nearing them and when it was finally behind Regulus' head, the Slytherin boy registered what was going on.

"May the best Seeker win," He shouted over the crowd's cheering, sending Ophelia a friendly nod before manoeuvring his broomstick around. However, this caused him to lose precious time and gave the blonde the opportunity to fly right towards the golden ball. 

Her eyes were focused purely on the Snitch, determination filled her veins and it felt like everything and everyone around her had disappeared. It was just her and that little gold ball. That's all she saw, that's all she needed to see; or so she thought.

Her name was being shouted but she couldn't even hear it over the blood pumping through her ears and the air whistling past her ears as she increased the speed on her broomstick by leaning forwards. 

As she reached her arm out, her fingers outstretched and ready to grasp the Snitch, a Bludger suddenly collided with her arm causing her arm guard to fly off. Ophelia let out a pained hiss as her arm retracted. Tears stung her eyes as pain radiated from her – most like broken – arm, but she kept flying, keeping her eyes on the price (something her father used to repeat to her whenever she asked what to do if you get injured during a game). 

However, when she received another blow; this time right in her side, her eyes finally left the Snitch. She couldn't grab onto the handle of her broomstick fast enough and without any warning she fell right off. She heard James' voice practically cutting through the air, even the crowd became deadly silent as Ophelia Avery fell from her broomstick with no one being able to reach her in time.

It didn't take long before everything turned completely black.