19. FUN NIGHT?

| CHAPTER NINETEEN |

FUN  NIGHT?

THE ANNUAL AVERY CHRISTMAS PARTY was in full swing and even though Ophelia had only been down there for just under an hour (she had stayed upstairs, pretending it was taking her a while to zip up her dress and tie her heels, until her mother finally got so annoyed she practically dragged the girl downstairs) she was already more than annoyed and even more ready to head off back upstairs and never socialise ever again; especially with prejudice Pureblood witches and wizards.

There was no one in her distant family that she actually liked that came that year (her favourite aunt and uncle cancelled at the last second). Her aunts and uncles were far too judgmental, her cousins were either crying toddles that dribbled on her expensive dress or they were older and treated her as if she was five; asking her if she'd like some juice and when her bedtime was. And the rest of the guests were just as bad (this included Walburga and Orion Black, who seemed to bitch over Sirius whilst fawning over their younger son; coaxing him into believing everything they did). 

So, when Camilla and Cian Avery were too busy to scold at their daughter, the blonde found herself standing alone in the kitchen, drinking all the champagne she could get her hands on, hoping the alcohol would either calm her down enough to not get so worked up by her family and cause yet another argument or that it would just cause her to pass out and she wouldn't have to socialise any longer. 

At the sound of footsteps, the blonde almost dropped the bottle of champagne as she turned around, just hoping that it wasn't either of her parents or Damon walking in. Strangely enough, she let out a sigh of relief when Regulus Black entered, looking exhausted.  

Ophelia had spoken to the younger boy a few times before, but only during these kinds of events; at school, he pretended she didn't exist.

"Can I?" He asked, finally breaking the silence, gesturing to the bottle in Ophelia's hand.

The blonde nodded, passing it over to him and watching as he took a large gulp before he passed it back.

"Fun night?" The blonde snickered, lazily leaning against the kitchen counter and sliding down to the floor, letting her dress fan out around her legs as she crossed them.

Regulus let out a sigh before he followed her actions, sitting down onto the wooden floorboards, "You bet," He replied bitterly.

Sending him a look of sympathy, Ophelia moved slightly closer to the boy, passing him the bottle which he willingly took, taking another two large gulps of it before placing it down on the floor between them.

"I can't wait to go back to school," The blonde sighed, letting out a sad sounding chuckle, she looked down at her hands, playing with the ring on her finger, "How sad it that?"

Regulus chuckled, "Extremely," He teased causing her to bump her shoulder into his arm playfully. 

The pair stayed sitting down there, a bottle of champagne between them. What surprised Ophelia the most, was the fact that Regulus actually willingly spoke to her. They laughed and bonded, doing everything they could to ignore the fact that their terrible family members – and family friends – were a door away, probably gushing over how a war was slowly but surely approaching. A strange, yet comforting, friendship forming.