9. NEVER

| CHAPTER NINE |

NEVER.

"SO, ARE YOU GOING TO Hogsmeade this weekend?"

"Yep," Ophelia replied in a monotone voice. She really didn't feel like talking let alone to the dimwit James Potter. Her head was pounding and her throat felt hoarse as she mentally promised herself to never drink again (a promise she knew she would break by the weekend).

"So am I!"

"Wow, what a coincidence," The blonde said sarcastically.

"Mr. Potter, Miss. Avery," Professor McGonagall called out, "Is there a problem?"

Before Ophelia could reply, James suddenly straighten his posture, "No, Minnie. Everything is okay, I was just asking Ophelia if she wanted to go to Hogsmeade with me," He puffed his chest out proudly, clearly not noticing the annoyed look on McGonagall's face.

Ophelia rolled her eyes before glancing over to her side, her eyes met Lily's and the redhead sent her a teasing wink. Ophelia groaned in annoyance, knowing very well that none of her friends were going to let her live that down, especially now that they thought she and James would make the 'perfect couple'. Urgh

"You can ask her after class, Potter--"

"Or never," Ophelia cut the professor off, sending James a pointed look.

"Or never," Mcgonagall nodded, "Looks like that's sorted," She muttered before going back to teaching the lesson. 

Ophelia did everything she physically could to pay attention. Even though she was pretty decent at Transfiguration, there was always room for improvement, especially when it came to the Avery family; who needed to be the best at anything and everything. However, it was hard to listen to anything Professor McGonagall had to say when James Potter's hazel eyes were boring into the side of her face.

"So, do you want to come with me to Hogsmeade?"

"I'm going with my actual friends," The blonde rolled her eyes.

James smirked, "So if you weren't, you'd go with me?"

"That's not what I meant."

"I mean, it sounded like that," James shrugged, the smirk still very present on his lips as he tilted his head to look at the blonde beauty besides him.

"It was suppose to sound like an insult."

"Mr. Potter, Miss. Avery!" Professor McGonagall snapped, the sudden volume of her voice caused both James and Ophelia to jump in their seats, "Detention with me tonight. 4:30."

Ophelia turned her head to finally look at the boy besides her as he grinned sheepishly, "That is the second time you made us get detention in the first month back," She hissed, "We're suppose to be Prefects."

"It's just detention, love, why are you so worked up?"

"Because my parents are going to kill me and it's all your fault," Ophelia told him, her voice sounded serious and the look in her eyes told James that maybe, this time, he had crossed a line. 

He looked guilty; something Ophelia had never seen him like. Part of her felt bad for her sudden outburst, but when she remembered the fact that he was the main reason for their detentions and thanks to that, the angry letters she received from her mother were also partially his fault, she looked away, not wanting to feel sorry for him any longer.

James frowned. He had never seen Ophelia looking so vulnerable and almost scared, "I'm sorry. I really am. After class I'll tell McGonagall that you didn't do anything wrong."

Ophelia's eyes widened as she turned to look at him. She couldn't help but feel shocked; she had never seen this side of James Potter and it was actually kind of nice, "You don't have to do that," She dismissed it.

But he shook his head, "Yes, I do and I will."

"You'd do that for me?"

"I'd do anything for you."

 Ophelia cursed at herself when she felt her cheeks heating up, a small smile gracing her face, "Thank you, James."

His eyes widened in shock as the blonde went back to listening to McGonagall. He wasn't sure if he was hearing things or maybe even dreaming (however, he hoped that if he was dreaming the dream would end in a kiss from the blonde beauty), but she had just called him by his first name.  

AN- Thank you charcoalate for the awesome cover! If anyone is looking for a cover check out her graphics shop, it's amazing!