8. TOO SOBER

| CHAPTER EIGHT |

TOO SOBER.

THE MOMENT OPHELIA'S FOOT TOUCHED the carpet of the Gryffindor common room, a pair of hazel eyes turned to look at her, widening slightly. It seemed that the blonde Gryffindor always left James speechless and this was no exception. His jaw dropped to the floor, his bottle of Butterbeer slipped past his fingers; luckily for him, Sirius had pretty good reflexes and managed to catch it just before it fell and spilled all of the carpet and their shoes.

"You have got to stop doing that," The black haired boy scolded, placing the bottle onto the table behind them.

"I'm sorry but just look at her," James said dreamily. His eyes never once leaving Ophelia as she and Lily walked through the crowd, their lips moving but he couldn't make out anything they said, "She looks incredible."

"You always say that."

"Yeah, because that's always true."

Ophelia was about to go over to grab a drink, but when she spotted Sirius Black and James Potter standing right next to the drinks table, she decided she would rather stay dehydrated, especially since the latter of the two was practically drooling as his wide eyes stayed super glued to her.

"You're not getting a drink?" Lily questioned as the pair came to a sudden stop.

"Maybe later," The blonde shrugged, but she nodded her head over to the table. As soon as Lily spotted two out of four Marauders standing there, she nodded understandingly.

"Ophelia Avery!" 

The blonde turned around, a wide grin appearing on her face when she spotted Remus Lupin making his way over. He was wearing a floral, Hawaiian shirt topped off with a straw hat, he held a half-empty bottle of Firewhisky in his hand. 

"Remus Lupin, are you drunk?" Ophelia questioned, an amused look on her face as the sandy-brown haired boy reached the two girls.

"What? Of course I'm not drunk," He said, slurring his words ever so slightly, "I just think you're too sober."

Ophelia smirked, taking the bottle from his grip, "Well, let's change that, why don't we?"

"Woo!" 

"Urgh, there he goes again," James groaned, "Swooping in and taking my girl."

Sirius rolled his eyes, James had always been the dramatic one; especially when it involved Ophelia, "She's not your girl."

James turned his head slowly, glaring at the black haired boy, "Not yet, but she will be. You'll see. You'll all see!" He exclaimed, catching a fair few students attention, causing them to look at him strangely.

Sirius stifled his laughter, patting James' shoulder, "I think you've had too much to drink, Prong."

James scoffed as his hazel eyes looked back at Remus, Ophelia and Lily, the three of them were laughing together, a genuine smile seemed to grace the blonde's face. One that widened when Marlene, Alice and Mary joined them, "What does he have that I don't?" He sulked.

Sirius rolled his eyes, "He's her friend, Prongs," He said sternly, "Plus, he doesn't tell her that he's going to marry her everyday."

"I sure hope he doesn't!" 

The pair suddenly went silent, their eyes watching the group surrounding Ophelia Avery interacting. All of them had large grins on their faces as they swayed to the rock music that played. Sirius couldn't help it as the younger blonde seemed to have caught his attention, his drink now practically untouched and he suddenly wandered if this is what James felt like? 

James' eyes never once strayed from Ophelia. His heart hammered violently against his ribcage, his eyes sparkling with happiness as he saw her smile widen. His favourite thing about her was her smile. Her genuine smile - because the girl had a very clearly fake one, too. Her genuine one seemed to make her face brighten up, causing her piercingly blue eyes to sparkle with life. It caused a small dimple on her left cheek to be visible. Not to mention the affect it had on James; it caused his heart to beat faster, his palms to get sweatier and subconsciously, it caused his own smile to appear without him even knowing; always leaving him standing there, grinning like an idiot to himself.

"Do you think I should go over there and propose again?"

Sirius almost choked on his drink, his eyes finally snapping away from Marlene, "No! I told you last time, I'm not going to let you do that again."

James pouted, "Urgh. Fine. What about--"

"No!"

"Stop being a party pooper, Padfoot!"