17. I PROMISE

| CHAPTER SEVENTEEN |

I PROMISE.

WITH CHRISTMAS NEARING, OPHELIA WAS more than stressed. Christmas at the Avery household wasn't ever fun. Her entire family (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, aunt's in-law cousin's dog, you name it) would come round and spend the entire two weeks she had off school at their house. And sure, some of them weren't too bad (she had a favourite aunt and uncle and a cousin that she tolerated), but the rest of them were the unbearable with their Pureblood ways. 

Everyone around her were excited for the upcoming break and they were all too busy packing and preparing themselves for Christmas to notice the slight changes in Ophelia's mood anytime Christmas break was spoken of. Well, everyone apart from one hazel eyed Gryffindor boy. When Ophelia would find herself sitting by the Marauders (due to Marlene wanting to sit with Sirius and Lily with Remus) James did everything in his power to move the conversation from Christmas – at one point he even jumped out of his seat, spilling pumpkin juice all over himself, Peter and Marlene – and Ophelia felt more than thankful.

Ophelia sat in the train compartment completely silent. She didn't seem to have the energy to participate into whatever conversation was going on between Lily, Marlene and Mary (Alice left them half-way through the journey to sit with Frank). 

"I'm going to the bathroom," The blonde announced suddenly, standing up from her seat and leaving the compartment, ignoring the 'are you okay?' look Lily sent her. 

Ophelia bit her lip as she walked through the train, keeping her coat wrapped tightly around her as she peeked into each compartment that she passed. When her eyes finally landed on a group of four Gryffindor boys, all of them with wide grins on their faces she came to a sudden stop. She reached her hand out towards the door, her brain battling with the thought of whether she should open it or not. When a rush of anxiety swept through her, Ophelia pulled her hand back and as casually as she could, she began walking away from the door, walking forwards with no purpose in her steps.

She cursed at herself as she kept her head down, hoping that no one saw her standing there debating whether to go in or not. She was so caught up in her thoughts, she almost didn't hear her name being called from behind her and she only snapped back into reality when a hand touched her shoulder.

Jumping, she turned around with wide eyes, looking at James Potter. He stood there, one hand on her shoulder and the other messing up his dark locks, a look of worry etched in his eyes, "Is everything okay?" He suddenly asked, breaking the silence between them.

Ophelia felt her mouth dry up as she nodded, "Y-Yeah," She told him, trying to act as nonchalant as she possibly could.

It wasn't a surprise that James didn't look convinced by her answer. He tilted his head to the side, "Are you sure?" He asked again, "It seems that something's on your mind."

Ophelia chewed her lip and glanced down at her shoes, "I just wanted to say thank you," She told him in a small voice.

James' eyebrows furrowed with confusion, "What for?"

The blonde finally looked up, "I know what you've been doing over the last few weeks," She confessed, sending him a thankful smile. She watched as realisation flashed through his eyes, "And I just want to let you know I really appreciated it. Thank you."

A faint blush crept onto James' face as he scratched the back of his neck, "You don't need to thank me for that."

"I do," Ophelia told him, she didn't know what came over her as she reached out to put her hand on his arm, clearly surprising both herself and James, "You didn't have to do that but you did, and I want you to know that it really meant a lot. An-And I actually have something for you," She added, using her free hand to dig through her coat pocket.

James shook his head, ignoring how his heart fluttered and his arm tingled, "You really didn't have to--"

"Neither did you," She cut him off before pulling out a small box messily wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper.

"Touché," James chuckled softly.

Ophelia bit her lip as she passed him the gift, "It's not much but--"

"Thank you," James cut her off this time, grinning widely, "Thank you, Lia. I-I actually have something for you too."

Ophelia opened her mouth but James shook his head and cut her off, "Ah, don't even think about saying what I think you're going to say," He sent her a pointed look which got her to close her mouth again and fight the smile that wanted to make its way upon her face, "I was going to give it to you on your birthday, but Remus didn't let me," James reached into the pocket of his jacket, "Well, he's not here now is he?"

Ophelia chuckled, watching carefully as James pulled out a small box, one that looked like it would contain a small piece of jewellery in it, "This isn't a proposal, is it?"

James let out a hearty chuckle, shaking his head, "No, no," He told her, "Not yet," He muttered under his breath.

"What?"

"Nothing," He quickly said, dismissing his little comment, "It's not wrapped, but promise me you won't open it until Christmas?"

Ophelia nodded as James passed her the small box, his fingers briefly touching her hand, "I promise. Thank you, James," The blonde told him, her voice full of sincerity and much to James' surprise, Ophelia Avery stepped forwards, onto her tip toes before wrapping her arms around his neck.

James stood there like a deer in headlights. His eyes wide, his mouth wide open. It took him several moments to bring himself back into realisation and without anymore hesitation, he returned the hug, keeping his chin on the top of her head whilst hers was pressed up in the crook of his neck.