Chapter 14: The White Wolf

*One Whisper at a Time*

*Chapter 14: The White Wolf*

Pain lingered through my veins. I could only hear the screams and yells of the people around me. I felt my body twitch beneath my legs and they buckled beneath me. I fell to the ground with a loud crash...or was it a soft crash? I couldn't tell.

I felt something brush by me, then the snarl of dogs. Then came hissing...What was that? I hadn't an idea. I couldn't move. My body continued to spasm as I blacked out.

*Caleb's P.O.V.*

I darted towards Felix as he moved at lightning speed. Okay, maybe lightning was an exaggeration, but he moved fast. Before I could take a step, he had Whisper's neck in his mouth, biting down roughly. I barked and ran towards him, knocking the black wolf to the ground.

I glanced at Whisper, watching her small body twitch. I didn't have time for this. I had to take him down - it was the only way.

As I began to bite down on his arm, I heard hissing. My ears perked and I spotted them. Nearly a dozen...maybe a hundred vampires raised into the forest. I knew what Whisper had been warning me of. It was about to be a war.

I nudged Felix, narrowing my eyes. I'll finish you later. Right now we have to finish this. Since you've gotten us into this! I yelled at the man through my mind.

Felix grunted and dashed off towards the vampires, leaving me.

My eyes rose and connected with the blood red eyes of Christoph. One thing was for sure. Someone was going to die, whether they were a werewolf or a Vampire.

The King dashed in my direction, baring his large fangs. Hisses came from his throat, attempting to scare me away. I growled and charged at him, ignoring the screams of people behind me.

"Whisper!" I heard someone scream as the Vampire jumped onto me.

*Hunter's P.O.V.*

It was a horrible sight. Blood spilled everywhere, catching the anything in its way. Screams that I recognized came from the other side of the forest. "Whisper!" I yelled, running to her side as I found the girl. Blood trickled down her neck slowly, staining her shirt. Her small body twitched from side to side.

"Help!" I screamed, hoping someone would stop fighting, and take in my friend. She couldn't die...No! If she died, I'd have nothing left. If she died, what would I tell her parents when we found them?

All of a sudden, she stopped moving - stopped breathing. Tears poured from my eyes as I draped myself over my best friend; my sister. Sobs left my throat. She was dead, leaving me along in this world. Whoever did this was going to pay. I'd kill them myself!

"Hunter? Oh, Hunter!" Madison's voice sounded, but it only struck my ears as a whisper. The girl dropped down beside me. "Let's take her inside..." But why? She was already dead. Already gone forever.

I simply nodded and stood to my feet. How dare anyone hurt my Whisper. Madison reached down and pulled Whisper's body into her arms. We moved as far away from the war as we could before heading back towards the castle. I kept hoping that she;d start breathing again, but it didn't happen.

When we finally reached the castle, we hurried inside and up to Maddi's room. She laid Whisper's body onto her bed, a sad smile finding her lips. "I'm so sorry, Hunter."

I responded by climbing into the bed and laying beside Whisper's body. I ran my fingers through her brown hair, letting my tears fall quickly. I hummed her favorite song, though I didn't know all of the words - Amazing Grace.

It was like when we were younger. We may have been slaves, but we were happy in our place. Playing all night, while tending to our masters in the day. I didn't open my eyes as I laid my head on my best friend's lifeless chest. This wasn't fair. Who were they to take her away from me?

I ran my fingers over my face and opened my eyes to find Whisper's eyes wide open. I screamed and stared at her as her eyes moved towards me. Her chest continued to not move, though her eyes stared at me.

"M..Maddi..." I whispered, staring at my best friend. A scream sounded from her throat as her body started to thrash back and forth roughly. I jumped from the bed as her eyes rolled back, causing her body to thrash harder. "Whisper!"

Madison seemed to be in shock. She was flattened against the wall, staring through her black hair.

White hairs began to sprout through Whisper's arms, legs, and more. Her shirt and pants began to break open, exposing her skin - but not for long. I heard bones crack and break, bending in every direction as she howled and screamed.

Before I knew it, her brown hair had disappeared, replaced by white fur. I flattened myself against the wall, staring at the thing that had once been my best friend. The wolf that replaced her.

My eyes widened, staring in her direction. In its direction. The wolf shook from side to side before raising its head and glancing at both Madison and me. Her teeth bore, growls escaping as she jumped from the bed.

Madison's eyes locked with mine. She ran at me with Vampiric speed, pulling me into her arms. She wrenched open the door, watching as the white wolf ran towards us before disappearing through the doors.

I couldn't tell you how scared I was. What had happened to her? Had Félix done this to her...?

I gulped and held onto Madison, hearing a yelp. She fell to the ground, letting go of me as she went. I turned to see the wolf version of Whisper with her teeth wrapped around Madison's leg. Rage burst in my chest.

"Whisper!" I yelled, looking at her. "This isn't you! Please stop!" I could feel the tears threaten, but I was strong. Stronger than I knew.

I began to sing Amazing Grace, even if it was only the first verse. "Amazing Grace...How sweet the sound. That saves a wretch like me...." That was all I knew of the song.

Whisper stopped and whined as she let go of Madison's leg. Her white ears lowered as she dropped to the ground, rising her paws over her head.

So that's it? My best friend is a werewolf?