Chapter 18: A Story to Remember

*One Whisper at a Time*

*Chapter 18: A Story to Remember*

*Madison's P.O.V.*

I watched them leave, staying silent. Hunter didn't look back, nor did Whisper. I frowned to myself. I should have been happy. My mother was alive, for Lord's sake. Inside, though, I was wishing that Hunter would turn around and come back. I understood, though. She had to find her family, and in return, I had to find my mother.

“Come, Madison. We must collect your mother and get back to the castle.” My Father said. I sighed, nodding in response. She really wasn't coming back.

My heart pounded as the Vampires began to follow my Father. Some where in front of us and some behind. This was a protection technique. Though it wasn't exactly easy to die when you're a Vampire.

We made our way out of the forest quickly. It didn't take much time. But daylight was approaching(though it didn't hurt me) and soon the others would be in danger if they weren't inside of the castle.

“Tell me about her,” I whispered to Father. He stopped walking for a moment before nodding, his white hair swaying along with his head.

“Your Mother, you look so much like her, Madison,” he said softly. “You have her skin-tone and her personality as well.” Father stared ahead, looking as if he was recalling memories of my Mother. I wished I could have seen a picture of her. “Your hair too. I see only my eyes in you.”

“How did you meet, Father?” I wondered.

Father grinned from ear to ear. I had never seen him smile before, unless it was a scarey, evil smile. “It was early July. I had been the Prince, but my father – your grandfather – was at war, so I was in charge.”

My Father paused and took a deep breath as we walked along, into the castle. “I didn't know what to do, but I tried as hard as I could,” He spoke, beckoning for me to come into his study. “I was about fifteen in human years, and I hadn't much experience with anything really.”

I stared at Father, taking a seat beside his desk. He sat down right beside me, a smile planted on his face, though his eyes were far from the place we sat. “Back then, we weren't very friendly with Humans. That was what we were fighting – a war against our own kind. If we won, humans would be free, and the others would not do what they said they would do,” he explained.

“What did they say they were going to do?” I asked, looking at my Father with curious eyes.

“The others – the bad side – didn't want humans here. They wanted to turn them all into Vampires. All including little children. The point was, if this happened, where would we get our food from?” Father sighed and leaned back in his chair.

“Then I met this woman, when I was coming to find my own Father. She was out with her parents, shopping. She had the cutest bonnet I'd ever seen upon her head. Her eyes were blue – a crystal blue. The prettiest eyes I'd ever seen.

“You could say that it was love at first sight. She was beautiful. Her hair was black, just as yours is now. Her skin was a glowing color, as yours as well. I fell in love with her at the simple sight of her. How someone could be so beautiful, when they didn't have the beauty of a Vampire, I did not know.”

I smiled because I could tell that Father had been in love with the human woman – my Mother. “I approached her, and soon she started to blush. Before I knew it, I was engaged to her behind my Father's back. We were not allowed because of the war. She would immediately be killed if anyone found out about us.

“I told Makayla my love for her everyday. I came to see her everyday, and soon I found out I had impregnated her. This was a problem, because I had never seen a child born from a human and a Vampire. I didn't know if the child was going to kill her or not.

“But soon, she lost the baby. It was to be a boy, and we'd planned on naming him Mason. But, then she was once again impregnated, afraid she was going to lose our second child,” my Father pressed his lips to my forehead.

“But we didn't. Soon, you were born and we named you Madison, after Makayla's mother. Everything was going great. We were happy...but then my Father found out about us, and our child.

“I had always thought that my Father was a good person, but he wasn't. He forced his guards to take you from your Mother, and if I went back to her, she would be killed. So I was left to raise you on my own while thinking about your Mother every day.”

I thought about how Father felt. He'd loved my Mother all of this time, but he had messed around with other people. Why? Was he hiding how he felt, trying to feel the same way that he once did? I suspected that this was true. I frowned at the thought. All this time he had been horrible, because he missed the woman he loved. I understood now.

“I understand...Where is she daddy?” I asked quietly.

“She should be with the wolves,” Father had only got out the last word when I dashed out of the room.

Just because I wasn't happy, didn't mean that he couldn't be happy. I ran down the stairs and out of the castle, running as hard as I could. I didn't look back, because I knew he wouldn't – couldn't – come after me. The sun was up and he'd be a goner if he did so.

I found Caleb and Whisper near the river. “I need to know where she is. Please,” I whispered, gazing up at Caleb.

Caleb looked at Whisper, raising an eyebrow. She explained to him about my Mother. “In the woods, working with Andy. They were-” He didn't get anymore out.

“Thank you!” I shouted behind myself as I dashed into the forest. My heart pounded – not because I was running, but because I was about to meet my Mother for the first time since I was a little baby. All this time, I'd been told she was dead, that she would never come back. Now I knew that she wasn't, and I hadn't any time to waist.

I spotted Andy and stopped, looking around slowly. My heart pounded quickly as my eyes looked gingerly at the man. “I need to see your – your slave...her name is Makayla,” I huffed, running my fingers through my ratty, black hair.

Andy seemed to look towards Caleb, who nodded in response. “Kayla, you have a visitor,” Andy yelled, turning towards the side of the woods.

“Coming,” a girl said, her voice light. A woman came out from behind a tree. Her hair was the exact same shade as mine, as well as her skin. Father hadn't been kidding when he said that we looked much alike.

“Makayla?” I meant to say, but it only come out in a whisper. The woman looked me up and down, wiping her hands on her pants.

“Yes?” Makayla answered as tears came to my eyes.

“I – I don't know if you remember me. I'm your daughter, Madison,” I said before my voice cracked and bloody tears started to trail down my cheeks. “I've waited so long to meet you,” I whispered.

Makayla's eyes seemed to widen, as she took another look at me. Her eyes glided along every one of my features. “Madison...My baby!” She yelled as I threw my arms around her. It felt so weird, crying into a stranger's shoulder, but that's what I did. “My dear...You've grown to be so beautiful....” She whispered into my ear after pressing her lips to my forehead. “I never thought you'd look so much like me.”

“He needs you....”

“Who needs me?” Makaya...I mean, my Mother asked.

“Father. He needs you. He always has...he always will.”