Chapter 21: Gone, Forever

*One Whisper at a Time*

*Chapter 21: Gone, Forever*

It was scary to step off of a plane and smell the familiar scents. I stared around before longing to leave the airport. Caleb held my hand as we walked out. Hunter walked slightly ahead of us.

Soon, I’d be home again. I’d be with my family. I hoped they’d accept me – being a werewolf now. I knew they wouldn’t really care, but still, I worried. I had so many questions, but they all would be soon answered. I was going home.

We still had a few hours until we got to my actual town. I knew my parents would never move – they loved the house. It was home…were Teddy and I had been born.

“I’ll get a taxi,” Caleb said. I nodded. Hunter looked like she was deep in thought. Her complexion had paled a lot. She barely looked like herself anymore. Though, I had to be honest; she was gorgeous now. Before, she had been average, but that had certainly changed.

The taxi pulled up and the three of us pulled into the back. It was still late at night(or should I say early in the morning?) By the time we got to my parent’s house, it would be 5 a.m. I had slept on the plane, but that didn’t mean I wasn’t exhausted.

It didn’t take me long to fall back asleep. I dreamed that I went home. My Mom was waiting for me, as if she knew that I was coming. I ran to her. When I tried to throw my arms around her, they went right through her.

I panicked, and then realized why my arms went through her…she was dead.

I tried the same with my Dad. At first, I was confident that he was alive. He didn’t look dead the way she had. Then, I hugged him. I could feel his touch, but I knew his arms weren’t wrapped around me.

I knew it would be the same with Teddy, my little brother, but even so, I tried. I saw how grown up he looked. There were dark bags under his eyes, as if he hadn’t slept in the past three years. His blue eyes were drooped, as though he longed to sleep, but somehow couldn’t.

That was why it surprised me when I could pull him into my arms. The only of the three that actually looked dead was alive. I cried happily, especially because Teddy’s eyes brightened. He held onto me and smiled. “I love you, Ted.”

“I love you, too, Whisper.”

Then I woke up to Caleb shaking me. I held in the scream that tried to escape – I didn’t want to startle the driver. I didn’t know if I wanted to get out. What if my dream was a sign? What if my family was dead?

I looked up to see a memorable sight. The house was white, like it had always been. Even in the dark, it was obvious of the bright color. I knew for a fact that it was the right house by the signature lawn ornaments – a squirrel and a chipmunk.

Unlike the dream, my Mom wasn’t on the porch waiting. There was only one light on in the house, though I couldn’t make out whose.

I pushed the door open, leaving Caleb and Hunter to pay. I’d been waiting for this moment for over three years; I wasn’t going to wait any longer.

I knocked on the door a few times, and then saw the kitchen light flicker on. Someone had to have been waiting. I was surprise, though, that anyone would be up this late.

I heard Caleb walk up behind me, but he was the only one I heard. I slowly looked back to see Hunter, riding away in the taxi. I knew I might never see her again. I hated that, but I also knew that Hunter would be happy.

The door opened to reveal my Father. In the past three years, it looked like he’d aged ten. His black hair had turned completely gray, leaving no evidence of it ever being a different color. His eyes showed that he had obviously had a large lack of sleep.

“Daddy?” I said.

He stared at me for a second before his mind confirmed that it really was me. “Whisper? Oh my Lord, Whisper! Judy! Teddy!” My Father began to sob, pulling me into his arms. “Get down here!”

It wasn’t long after his voice sounded did I hear footsteps. My face was buried in my Father’s chest. I missed his smell.

I looked up to see my Mother. Her face was wet with tears as she stared at me. “Whisper….” She threw her warm, comforting arms around me. Teddy had to be close behind her.

My eyes landed on an unrecognizable young man. His hair was a rusty brown – lighter than mine. He was definitely taller than me, but at the same time, younger. “Teddy bear?” I asked.

My little Brother did nothing for a few seconds. Then, he threw his long arms around me. I held him tightly. I had never been so happy.

I looked at Caleb, who was standing quickly off to the side. I grasped his hand as my family began to lead me into the house. “Maybe this isn’t a good idea, Whisper. I’ll just stay-“

“What? No! You’re coming. I have to introduce you to my family.”

“No, I-“

“Shut up,” I said, pulling him in with me.

I opened my mouth to introduce Caleb, when my Mom screamed. She pulled me away from him and held me tight, as if he was some kind of predator.

“Why are you here?  You can’t have her again!”

“Mom, what are you talking about? Caleb…” I said his name, then looked back at them.

“He took you, Whisper. Him and two other guys!” My dad said. “Don’t you remember their faces?”

I didn’t.

“Is that true…?” I asked.

Caleb seemed to hesitate before answering. “Yes, it is. But now I love you, Whisper. I’m so sorry I did that to you.”

The minute my world turned blue, it turned gray once again. I loved him, yet he was the one who put me through this hell. He was one of the reasons Félix had hurt me in more than one way. I shouldn’t have cried then, but I did.

“Get out, please, just go!”I yelled.

Caleb looked down. “I love you, Whisper Neil,” he said. That was the last word he spoke before he left…forever.

_____

Sadly, this is the last chapter of the book. There will be a sequal, dated five years after this last chapter :) I hope you enjoyed "One Whisper" because I enjoyed writing it. :D Hope you'll follow Whisper through her next journey 

-Cierra <3