26

"I know you guys just came back, but are you excited to go to Nationals?" I ask.

Asahi and I sit next to each other on a swing set, pushing ourselves back and forth slowly with our feet. We met up after their first day at school since the finals, and we decided to hang out at the small park in our neighbourhood. I brought both of us apple drinks for the occasion, and now, we sip at them casually while in conversation.

"Hmm... yeah, I think so," he responds, taking a quick sip from the can in his hand before reaching out for the swing's chain again.

"You don't sound super excited," I look at him sympathetically, and he looks at me briefly with a conflicted smile before looking back down at the ground.

"No, I am excited, and I want to win, it's just..." he trails off, and I furrow my eyebrows.

"Are you nervous? Honestly, I think that I would be too since there'll be teams from everywhere..." I say as I eye the drink in my hands.

"Ah, that's kind of part of it," he responds, "but, I don't know, I was thinking more about how long we'd be away. You know, if we do really well— which would be great, of course— we would have to stay in Tokyo longer."

"Oh," I quietly laugh, and he looks at me. "Well, is that all? That would be a good thing, wouldn't it? It means you're still fighting." I say, pumping my fist up.

He grins before shaking his head. "I know. I guess what I mean to say is that I would miss you."

"I would miss you too, but we both know why you guys are going there. I'll survive, and so will you." I say, pushing myself sideways to bump my swing into him. He looks at me in surprise as it happens, and I join him in quick laughter before the conversation comes to a lull.