13

"Thank you again for dinner," Asahi says as we clear the table together. Even considering the interview that my mom had decided to conduct with him, he is still standing. Mom shoots him a quick response, noting her own gratitude. I can't pinpoint exactly what is being said as I stack the bowls, my mind being elsewhere.

Why didn't he go? And why did he lie to me about it? I carry the bowls towards the kitchen with a flood of different thoughts in my mind, and everything in my hands clatters loudly down in the sink when I place them down, catching us all by surprise.

"I'm sorry," I say quietly before continuing to help with the table. As it turns out, the bowls were the last thing to clean and there is nothing else to do except for us three to talk.

"Um, I should probably go home now," Asahi says into the silence.

"Thank you again. It was really nice to meet you." He smiles, and Mom seems happy with his politeness. I'm not exactly sure how well he was able to carry himself while I was in my own world, but I at least feel some sense of relief knowing Mom seems to like him.

"Of course! (Y/N)... will you be okay to see him out?" Mom responds, and I nod once. Again, both pairs of eyes are focused on me, and I know that they both notice that something is off. Of course, this feeling is something that I'll eventually have to confess to, but I still struggle to figure out how to do this with Asahi, and the time left to figure it out is fast-ending.

"Don't forget to shut the door!" Mom exclaims as a reminder as we go outside. Asahi gives my mom a timid wave goodbye as I shut the door. I can tell he's looking at me, but I can't return his gaze.

"Ah... I can breathe," He says first, placing his hand on his chest.

"That was probably the scariest experience I've ever had." He adds, but I don't respond.