17

"(Y/N), why didn't you tell me anything?" Mom says, rubbing my arm

I stare at the coffee table blankly, my breathing still irregular even though I'm not crying anymore. "I don't know, I- I just thought because you're my mom, it w-would be hard for you t-to understand."

"Oh, like I've never experienced anything like this before!" Mom jokes, though her face shows sympathy.

"Well... what do I do?" I stare back at her, desperation in my eyes.

"It sounds like you have your work cut out for you, to be honest," She says. "You have your two friends to help, Daichi and... um, what was the other one's name again?"

"Sugawara."

"Yes. I mean, if you don't feel like you'll get through to Asahi on your own, it's not a bad idea to get help. As long as you're not pushy. It'll be okay." Mom says, looking to continue her speech.

"So, how many more friends am I supposed to know of? I'm already struggling to try to remember this new name, and I'm kind of hoping he's the last one."

I start to laugh, watching Mom's cheerful gaze.

"Well, I do have two other friends, I think," I reply, with two second-years in mind. Mom's eyes roll back jokingly in response, and the spirit of the conversation lifts my mood slightly.

"I'll just have to get a piece of paper and write everyone's name down, I suppose," Mom says with a smile, patting my shoulder once before getting up. "You should get ready for bed now, okay? Try to sleep a little earlier tonight, it might help you feel better in the morning."

I take her advice by responding with a nod, excusing myself to go upstairs. Unfortunately, our argument still nips at the back of my mind, despite the fact that I've already talked through it extensively with two people. I only start to realize how much of a toll dwelling on it has been for me today as I walk into my room, wanting just to collapse onto my bed and fall asleep.