35

Entrance exams came and went in the blink of an eye

Entrance exams came and went in the blink of an eye. The few days leading up to it were the most stressed that I've felt in my life, and I'm not going to sugarcoat it and say that Asahi handled it better than I did. If anything, he felt the same emotions in an intensified way, even though he wasn't planning on taking any exams.

"I know you can do it, (Y/N), don't worry. It'll be okay. Don't worry, no matter what happens, everything will be okay. Don't worry, okay, (Y/N)?" Asahi quickly says.

From my notebook, I slowly turn my glance toward him where he sits, across from me at the living room coffee table.

"I'm sorry," he sighs.

I shake my head, a smile emerging from my face as I return to the pages in front of me.

After the exams had passed, things didn't really feel like the end of the world. It felt like, for once, things were back to normal. Asahi and I could see each other more often; it also gave me the chance to spend some time with Anika, Daichi, and Sugawara. After exams, one of the first things we all chose to do was pay a visit to that market street; it was the first time the five of us actually got a chance to hang out together since the day we first met.

The only thing left to do was wait for the results, which I have tried to repress from my mind. Even so, I have been unable to walk up to my front door after school in fear of seeing a letter addressed to me sitting on the steps.

This afternoon, as Asahi and I walk home together, I realize that it's the first time that my heartbeat hasn't quickened as we approach my house. Even as I continue to think about it, I don't feel any sudden rush of fear. The letter will come when it comes. There's no use in upending my life because of it.

"Is everything okay?" Asahi says on my left. As usual, he has one arm wrapped around my back with his hand clasped around my arm as we walk.

I look up at him and nod, to which he responds with a soft smile.

"I just feel happy," I sigh, and he makes a sound of agreement.

"Why's that?" He responds, and I take a moment to think.