09

I stand up from the bench as I end the call

"So?" Anika says with bug eyes. I forget that she's next to me through the whole ordeal and I don't know where to start explaining.

"There was a fight," I start, and she starts to gasp but ends up coughing into her mask.

"Oh my god," she tries to say, though her voice sounds strained. "I choked on air. But a fistfight or something?"

"No, not that, but Sugawara wants me to go there," I say tentatively. Anika stands up at hearing this, and I know she plans to invite herself so I have to stop her before she says a word. "You're still sick, so you should go home and rest."

"No, I'm already almost better! I wouldn't have left the house if I didn't feel good enough. And I'm gonna follow you no matter what you say because I am not going home. Also, you're forgetting that I've met those two before, so it's not like I'm trespassing or anything. Don't you want some support?" She rambles on, trying out every excuse that comes to mind.

"Well..." I trail off, weighing the options. I can either tell her to come and she follows, or I tell her not to come and she follows anyway. "Fine. But now it's completely on you if you get sick again."

"I promise," she says, already walking on the path that will lead back to the sidewalk.

I fill her in on the rest of the phone call as we follow the road to Karasuno. Instead of trying to clear my mind, I feel more like throwing up. "I wish I could faceplant into the concrete or something."

"First of all, don't do that," Anika says with a skip in her step. Of course, she can be happy at this time, knowing that she can just watch the show instead of having to play a role. "I don't know, what's the worst that can happen? No one's going to die or anything if you see each other again."

"I know that," I shake my head, "but I'm not crazy happy to see either of them right now."

And even worse, I can't imagine that either of them would be crazy happy to see me.