07

Just barely leaving the school grounds, the walk is silent

Just barely leaving the school grounds, the walk is silent. I don't feel awkward, and glancing at Daichi's face of content, he seems to be enjoying the quiet. Usually, this is the point where I would have to think of something to start the conversation, but I'm beat to the punch.

"So," Daichi starts, "how were your classes today?"

"Oh, um..." I relay the memories of the first half of the day into my mind. "Honestly, I couldn't focus that much. It was hard to wait all day for the festival."

"Really? I felt the same. Even volleyball practice was a little..." He trails off, shrugging when he can't seem to find the words to say.

"How are you feeling about the Spring preliminary finals?" I say, and he takes a deep breath before sighing powerfully.

"I always try to put on a strong face, just for my teammates, and especially for the younger players. I'm probably just as nervous as everyone else when it comes down to it, though." He says, with a look of concern streaking his face. "But, despite any of my own fears, I'm impressed with everyone's progress."

"Hm," I sound in acknowledgement of his statement. "Spoken like a true captain," I add, and he laughs quietly.

The conversation comes to a lull after that statement, and we continue walking under his lead for a few minutes in the same silence. As I'm deep in thought, I remember something that sparks the conversation again.

"I wanted to ask," I begin, and he makes a sound to note that he's listening. "Well, I was talking to Asahi earlier today, and he didn't even know we were going out tonight."

He doesn't speak for a moment, and all I can hear are the sounds of our footsteps on the concrete.

"You know, I was sure I asked him already but I guess I actually forgot."

"Oh," I nod, adding, "it's just that you were able to ask Sugawara."

"Yeah, I really must've forgotten," He re-establishes. "I don't think I would exclude him."