Chapter Two

Dani keeps her head down as she hurries to join Neville at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall. Drogon flies after her, weaving through the tables. They are all filled with students, many of who glance at Drogon, especially the first years, not all of them would have seen him at the train station, some are seeing him for the first time, it distracts them from the shadow-kissed. Neville touches her arm when she sits at his side, silently asking if she is okay, she nods and looks at him. Grateful for him, she really is. That he is her friend. Stuck by her. The two of them sharing a small smile. Dani takes a deep breath and looks at the High Table at the top of the room, all the members of staff sat together, watching over the students. Lupin smiles at her and she smiles back. He sits with Snape, McGonagall, Hagrid, and Dumbledore. Dumbledore rises, beaming over the sea of black hats.

"Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say, before we become befuddled by our excellent feast. I myself am particularly looking forward to the flaming kiwi cups, which, while somewhat treacherous for those of us with facial hair..." Dumbledore announces to the students. McGonagall clears her throat. "Mm. Yes. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the

post of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Good luck to you, Professor." There is scattered applause around the room.

"Of course! That's why he knew to give you the chocolate, Harry." Hermione points out, Dani glances to them and then to Harry.

"As some of you may know, Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years, has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be filled by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid!" This time there is more vigorous applause for Hagrid. Hagrid turns ruby red, rises, and nearly topples the staff table, sending water goblets weaving. Dumbledore then turns more grave. "Finally, on a more disquieting note, Hogwarts -- at the request of the Ministry of Magic – will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban." Dani pales slightly, Drogon climbing up her back to curl around her shoulders. She was kind of hoping that the dementor presence on the train was a one-off thing, now they are going to be here all the time. And she is not the only one that this seems to bother, there is a murmur of apprehension that fills the hall. At the Slytherin table, Draco, flanked by the everpresent Crabbe and Goyle, catches Harry's eye, feigns a dead faint. Harry looks away from them and to Dani who keeps her eyes down on her hands under the table. "The Dementors will be stationed at the entrances to the grounds. While they are under strict orders not to enter the castle itself, you will on occasion see them as you go about your daily activities. Under no circumstances are you to approach them. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving." Dumbledore then sits back down, ending his speech. Ron throws a cupcake at Dani who frowns and looks at him, she holds up the cupcake, he shrugs. 'Are you okay?' he mouths at her, she nods and gives him a smile. Whilst not part of Harry's little group of friends specifically she does count them as her friends, more so Hermione, the two of them have studied a lot together over the last two years. She is kind of glad she has missed out on their....adventures though.

..........

Harry and Dani leave the Great Hall together. Behind them, Hermione walks with Ron and Neville as they all head towards the stairs, making their way to the Gryffindor dorm. Drogon flies over them.

"Are you feeling better?" Harry asks her, she hums and nods.

"I am" She assures him.

"Neville didn't really know what happened when we asked" Harry points out, Dani shrugs slightly.

"The dementor on the train" She admits. "Being Shadow-Kissed....I...reacted to them" She looks at Harry. "It is part of my curse....death follows me...is drawn to me, I...passed out" She turns to him. "What did Hermione mean before about the chocolate? Are you okay?"

"Oh, I...reacted to the dementors as well" He admits with a small smile. "Professor Lupin was in our cabin, gave me chocolate to help with the effects...."

"I wish chocolate was the solution to my curse" She offers, he gives her a small smile.

"Are you going to be okay with them here?" Hermione asks behind them, Dani turns to face her.

"Probably not" Dani answers. "But it is not like it can be helped. I just have to keep my distance from them...I will be fine..." Hermione gives her a look as she moves closer to her friend, looping her arm with Dani's. Hermione knows how much her gifts scare Dani, they've spoken about it. Dani is terrified of what she is, though that has lessened since she came to Hogwarts. She is starting to adapt and accept who and what she is, but that doesn't mean there isn't some level of fear inside of her. She thinks there always will be. The two girls walk ahead of the boys, Drogon flying down to land on Dani's shoulder.

.....

Dani sits, curled up in an armchair in the Gryffindor common room, a blanket over her lap as she reads from a book. The light and warmth from the lit fire on her skin. Drogon is curled around her neck, sleeping with his head tucked behind her head. She knows she should be sleeping, but she's tried, and she couldn't. She knows that's a bad thing. That it only happens when there is a dream around the corner. She lets out a breath and leans back in the chair. Her good feeling about this year has been well and truly debunked.