Chapter Twelve

Ron, Fred, George, and Hermione are all gathered around Harry's hospital bed. Each one waiting to see if he wakes up at all after his fall. Ron cocks his head as he looks at his friend's face.

"Looks a bit peaky, doesn't he?" Ron asks.

"Peaky? What d'you expect him to look like? He fell fifty feet." Fred defends.

"Yeah, c'mon, Ron. We'll walk you off the Astronomy Tower and see how you come out looking." George adds.

"Probably a right sight better than he normally does," Harry states as he opens his eyes.
"Harry! How're you feeling?" Hermoine asks him. Harry edges up against his pillow, doesn't look so good, but he's awake and that is good.

"Brilliant" He answers.

"Gave us a right good scare, mate." Fred scolds him.

"What happened?" Harry asks them.

"You fell off your broom." Ron answers.

"Really? I meant the match. Who won?" Harry counters, but there is silence. Uncomfortable glances amongst those gathered.

"No one blames you, Harry," Hermione assures him. "The Dementors aren't meant to come on the grounds. Dumbledore was furious. After he saved you, and after..." She stops herself and shakes her head. "He sent them straight off." Harry nods grimly, stares at the rain lashing the window.

"There's something else you should know, Harry" Ron starts. "Your Nimbus, when it blew away? It sort of landed in the Whomping Willow. And well..." Ron offers and then tips a bag of splintered wood and twisted twigs onto the bed. Harry stares at what remains of his broom, he looks up and lets out a breath then...notices white hair in another cot close by.

"Is that Dani?" He asks, Ron nods. "Is she okay?"

"She's fine" Hermione assures him. "Just...the dementors" He nods a little. "And exhaustion...." Harry frowns. "With everything that's been happening, she's not been sleeping very well...her visions have been waking her and then keeping her awake, and her brothers have said something about her maybe studying for divination too hard...."

"Because of me?" Harry asks, Hermione shakes her head.

"I never said that" She defends.

"But it's true" Harry argues.

"She's shadow-kissed, Harry, seeing things, dreaming about them, it's going to be her life. It has been since the moment she was touched by that banshee scream.....She's not adjusted to them yet...it will get easier for her.....this is not your fault" Hermione assures him. "You know she wouldn't think that way" Harry looks down and smiles a little.

"She'd yell at you for not listening to her" Ron corrects, Harry lets out a small laugh and looks at him. "She told you..."

"She did" Harry agrees. "But she still went out there as well..."

"To keep an eye on you" Rolf adds as he walks closer. "Nice to see you awake, Potter"

"Urm, thanks...Scamander" Harry offers, whilst he is friends with Dani, he's never had much contact with her brothers, other than the whole Draco Vis friendship, but honestly, Vis usually keeps out of that. They all give Rolf a look.

"Oh right" Rolf realises and shakes his head. "Ray's already spoken to Neville" Rolf offers and folds his arms over his chest. "I just wanted to know what's been going on with Dani...I know you aren't like...best friends but you see her more than we do...." Hermione bites her lip a little, not knowing if Dani would want her telling her brothers about how bad and numerous her dreams had gotten.

................

Draco sneaks into the hospital wing of the castle later that night. He had witnessed Dani's episode, she had tried to get away from the crowds that fussed over Potter, she had wanted to not make a scene. And then proceeded to collapse close to the Gryffindor quidditch tent. Draco had been the one to get a Hufflepuff first year to sound the alarm. He couldn't be seen doing it himself but that doesn't mean he could threaten another student into doing it for him. She's sleeping. Calm. He lets out a breath, sets a box of chocolate galleons on her bedside table and then turns back to a sleeping Dani. She's so peaceful. He cocks his head, brushes her hair back from her face, fingers lingering on her cheek. Drogon shifts at the end of the bed and seemingly only just notices Draco standing there. Drogon then hisses in warning at the boy.

"Relax, beast" Draco hisses at the dragon who growls back at him. He sticks out his tongue at the creature who glares at him.

"Malfoy?" Dani's voice startles him.

"No" He argues, she smiles a little and gives him a look as she leans up. He groans and hangs his head, caught out. "Yeah, so what?" he fiddles with the blanket under his hand and then shrugs. She lays her hand flat close to his, not touching though. He hums slightly when he notices it. "I just...you know" He starts then presses his fingers into her palm, touching her softly, he smiles to himself before pulling back and schooling his expression. He clears his throat and looks away. "The whole seer thing will be pretty important one day" He mumbles and glances at her, she's watching him back, amusement in her eyes. She hums and nods a little. "You're getting pretty good at it" She nods again. "Might need to....ask for a favour one day...some magic lottery numbers...have to make sure you make it through the night" She chuckles a little and he looks down, blushing slightly. She stops chuckling and watches him as he struggles with emotions.

"It's okay to care, Draco" She whispers, he shrugs and shakes his head. Not in his experience, it's not. "I won't tell anyone" he looks at her.

"I know" He agrees, he knows she wouldn't, and he doesn't even know why he knows that. "I just...."

"Those feelings are new to you" She offers. "Real friendship...." He looks at her.

"Is that what we are?" He asks her. "Friends?"

"I don't let just anyone bring me chocolate galleons" She teases, he laughs a little and looks down. "I get it" She adds. "You're a Slytherin and a Malfoy and you have to be mean to everyone that's not...." He glances at her. "Doesn't mean that it's the real you" They share a look.

"You think you're so smart" He counters, she nods.

"I do actually" She agrees, he smirks and shakes his head. She then turns slightly, intending on getting out of bed.

"What are you doing?" He asks her. "Should you be getting up?" She waves him off and slips off the cot to her feet. She lets out a breath and steps closer to him, his eyes tracking her movements. She hugs him. Just hugs him. "What is this?" He whispers, alarmed. He doesn't know what she's doing. Why she is doing it. He doesn't understand why this is making him feel all warm and....nice. He likes it. He really likes it.

"It's called a hug" She answers, pointing out the obvious, he rolls his eyes, he knows what it is, he's just....not sure why she is hugging him. She then pulls back. He looks down at her, finds her eyes already on him. He can image how he looks to her. His eyes are wide. Alarmed. Cautious. It's been a long time since anyone hugged him. She shrugs. "Friends give hugs" She adds and then climbs back into bed. "Goodnight, Draco" She offers, he nods and looks at Drogon who raises an eyebrow at him. Draco clears his throat and then flees the room. Drogon turns that look on Dani who gives him one back. "What?" She asks him, Drogon cocks his head and then nods towards where Draco went. Dani shrugs in question. Drogon huffs and drops his head to the blankets.