Chapter Seven

Dani and Neville enter their defence against the dark arts class, many of their classmates already there and waiting for it to begin, Dani and Neville actually some of the last to arrive. Neville is nervous about this class and may have dragged his feet. Draco glances at her from his little group of Slytherin, Dani holds her head up as he smirks at her. She's been trying not to think about their interaction in the library. Something shifted between them. She felt it. She no longer instantly finds him annoying him when she looks at him. She saw some other side of him. He wasn't cruel or mean. He was quiet, soft....not kind per se but....a lot nicer than usual. In the centre of the classroom, a tall wardrobe rattle violently. Neville jumps a little and shifts closer to Dani. Remus...Professor Lupin walks closer to the wardrobe.

"Intriguing, yes?" He asks. "Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what's inside?"

"That's a Boggart, that is." Seamus offers in a hushed tone.

"Very good, Mr Finnigan. Can anyone tell us what a Boggart looks like?"

"No one knows." Hermione offers, Ron jumps, glances at Hermione, then whispers to Harry.

"When'd she get here?" He asks his friend.

"Boggarts are shape-shifters. They take the shape of whatever a particular person fears most. That's what makes it so..." Hermione continues.

"Terrifying, yes. Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a Boggart. Let's practice it now, shall we? Without wands, please... Riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus!" All of the class state together except for Draco who rolls his eyes slightly.

"It's this class that's ridiculous," Draco mutters to himself.

"Good. So much for the easy part. You see, the incantation alone is not enough. What really finishes a Boggart off is...laughter. You need to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing. Neville, come up here, will you?" Remus continues. Neville eyes the rattling wardrobe, he steps forward queasily. "What would you say is the thing that frightens you most?"

"Profter... Snafpt..."

"Didn't catch that, Neville, sorry."

"Professor Snape." Everyone laughs good-naturedly except for Dani, because she knows just how scared of Snap Neville is. It's a really deep fear. Like her fear of banshees. Remus nods thoughtfully.

"Hmmm... yes. Neville, I believe you live with your grandmother?"

"Yes, but I don't want the Boggart to turn into her either." Neville is quick to argue.

"It won't. But I want you to picture her clothes, only her clothes, very clearly in your mind. Can you do that?" Remus asks him, Neville closes his eyes.

"She carries a red handbag..." He states to himself.

"That's fine. We don't need to hear it. If you see it, we will. Now, when I open this wardrobe, Neville, here's what I want you to do..." Remus leans close to Neville, whispers to him. Neville's eyes pop open in shock, he glances at Remus uncertainly. "You can do this, Neville." Neville nods nervously, takes a deep breath. "Right then. Wand at the ready. One. Two. Three!" Sparks jet from Remus's wand, strike the doorknob, and the wardrobe bursts open. Instantly, Snape appears, eyes flashing hideously as he stalks forward. Neville backs away in fright. "Think, Neville. Think!" Remus reminds him.

"R-r-riddikulus!" Neville casts. Snape stumbles in a flash of light and reappears in a long, lace-trimmed dress, towering moth-eaten hat and a crimson handbag. Instantly, the class roars with laughter, Dani included (except for Draco and his fellow Slytherins). Neville blinks, amazed, then slowly, grins himself. Remus drops the needle on an old gramophone. As a scratchy rumba fills the room, he points to Ron.