Chapter Six

Dani is situated among divination books, specifically books on oneiromancy, her fingers pressed into her head as she attempts to absorb information. Trelawney has her reading from advanced textbooks because Dani is a 'natural' seer. But she can't make sense of much of this. This is not the way to help her. Hermione sets a set of books on the tables, hers ranging from ancient ruins to arithmancy. Hermione raises an eyebrow at the books in front of Dani and then picks one up.

"These books are meant for year fives" Hermione points out giving Dani a sympathetic look as she sits across from her. "Trelawney has you reading these?"

"My brain is about to explode" Dani complains and closes the book in her hand. "She thinks that because I've been having dreams since the...." She sighs. "Banshee..." She whispers. "Incident, that I should be an expert on all of this already" She motions to all the books. "But..." She shakes her head and drops her head onto the table. Hermione smiles a little and pats her friend's head. Dani grumbles slightly.

"Have you ever read a book about the Shadow-Kissed?" Hermione asks as she pulls her hand back. Dani lifts her head to look at her.

"No, why?"

"Maybe it would be easier to accept what you can do...if you knew what that meant for you" Hermione explains. "You're not just a seer, Dani...I mean it is clearly an important part of you but it's just a little part of it" Dani lets out a breath and nods, because that actually makes sense. Dani catches sight of the time turner around Hermione's neck and then raises an eyebrow at her.

"Have either of them figured out that you're cheating?" Dani teases, Hermione gives her a look.

"It is not cheating" Hermione defends.

"Urm...yes, it is" She counters. "Using a time turner to go to multiple lessons at the same time...is very much cheating..." Hermione smiles at her. "It is rather funny to watch them though" Dani comments causing her friend to chuckle. Hermione's smile and good mood vanishes almost instantly when she catches sight of Draco over Dani's shoulder as he moves towards them. But he practically ignores them, moving to a bookshelf. Dani's eyes finding him now.

"Urgh" Hermione complains, Dani looks at her and then leans back into her seat. "Even the library isn't safe from the likes of Malfoy" Dani glances back at Draco who grabs a book from the shelf, his eyes shifting to her, Dani gives him a glare and then looks away. Draco smirks a little and slides the book back before picking up another. He turns and walks away again.

........

Dani makes her way through the curses aisle in the library, she assumes that is what the whole shadow-kissed thing would be classed as. Hermione was right, she doesn't know enough about herself and what she is. Maybe if she understood herself better, understood how to work with this...curse. Then it wouldn't be so hard. Draco appears at the end of the aisle and glances at Dani before he heads towards her. She glances up from the book in her head when she hears him, she rolls her eyes and sets it back on the shelf.

"What are you doing here?" She asks as she moves along the shelves.

"It's a library" he answers as he follows her. "What do you think I am doing here?"

"Annoying me" She grumbles under her breath, he heard though. He smirks in response.

"What are you looking for?" He asks her.

"It's a library" She answers and gives him a look. "What do you think I am looking for?" He snorts and looks away from her, but he's smiling. His eyes catch something on the shelf to his side. His eyes moving to Dani as she touches a book and then wrinkles her nose. He takes the book from the shelf and touches the cover. It is probably not a coincidence that she is in this aisle. He turns to her, clears his throat and holds out the book. Dani glances at it and then to him. She takes the Shadow-Kissed book from him and turns away.

"Thank you" She mutters under her breath, he nods a little and then folds his hands behind his back. A little uneasy with that sort of attention. He's not used to people thanking him. For anything.

"Urm...you're....welcome" He whispers and turns away from her. "Aren't you going to ask me...." He states, she looks at him as he touches the spine of a book. "Why I am in the curses aisle?"

"I assumed you were looking for a book to find some new inventive curse to inflict on your next poor unsuspecting victim" She answers, he glances at her and sees that she's actually teasing him. He snorts and smiles before he shakes his head. "Do you know much about the shadow-kissed?" She asks him.

"Only what my father has told me" He admits. "You?"

"You would think being one meant that I would have this vast fountain of knowledge on the subject..." She offers, the two of them sharing a look. "But no.." She shrugs. "I assume they all thought I was too young to deal with whatever it was they didn't want me to know...." She looks at the book in her hand. "Guess I am going to find out what that is...." She sighs a little. "What if it says I am going to be evil?" He laughs a little, she shoots him a look and then kicks him.

"Ow!" He hisses and rubs his leg giving her a look.

"It's not funny" She snaps at him.

"I laughed because the idea of you being evil is hilarious" He manages through gritted teeth, she rolls her eyes. "Oh come on" He teases. "Between you and Vis, we all know which one of you is most likely to be evil....and it is not you" She scoffs and shakes her head. "Evil people don't give chocolates to Slytherin bullies" He whispers, she looks at him, her eyes softening slightly. "They are not kind to people that haven't been so to them...so...yes, you going evil is hilarious, because it will never happen...." He glances away from her. "You are incapable of being truly cruel"

"You don't know me" She argues.

"I know enough" He counters and looks at her. "I've seen enough...." He steps closer to her, she sinks back against the bookshelf behind her. "Are you scared of me?" He asks her, she shakes her head.

"No" She whispers, he chuckles and smirks.

"Liar" he argues, she turns to glare at him. He prefers it when she is fierce. Those moments where she shows that she is capable of true strength and bravery, standing up to him, teasing him. That side of her he likes, not the side that cowers.

"Leave her alone, you brute" Hermione snaps at him from the end of the aisle, Dani slips away from Draco and moves to her friend.

"Let's just go," Dani tells her, grabbing her sleeve to pull her away. Hermione gives Draco a glare before following Dani away. Dani glances back at Draco who is still watching her, there is something softer in his eyes. She swallows and looks away.