Chapter Seventeen

The sun sets, dropping behind the mountains in the distance. Dani turns around again, her eyes on the sky, see a frenzied spray of crows stain the bloody sky. Slowly, Hermione's hand falls onto Ron's shoulder and her eyes shift down the length of Ron's arm to his hand, where a drop of blood hangs from his finger, drops like a tear...Ron stares at his hand. At the blood running down his finger.

"He bit me..." Ron points out, his eyes shift to see Scabbers streaking away.

"Ron! No!" Dani warns trying to grab him. As Ron pelts after Scabbers, Dani, Harry and Hermione give chase. Ron reaches the summit, disappears over the top. Dani, Hermione and Harry follow.

...............

Dani, Harry and Hermione reach the top of the ridge, they stop, eyes widening when they find Ron is kneeling under the Whomping Willow.

"You do realize what tree this is..." Hermione warns them. Ron nabs Scabbers, cradles him in his bloody palm.

"Now behave yourself." Ron scolds him.

"That's not good," Harry whispers. "Ron! Run!" He yells at his friend. Ron spins and looks toward the three of them.

"Harry! Run!" Harry's eyes shift, bounding toward him in the gathering gloom is an enormous jet black dog. Harry shields himself but the dog leaps over him and runs at Ron. "Aaaahhh!" The dog's teeth snap closed on Ron's foot, dragging him towards the trunk like a rag doll. Instantly, Harry dashes forward, leaps out, and grabs Ron's hands... but he and Ron just keep skidding along the ground.

"I've got you...." Hermione pitches herself onto Harry's feet... and the three of them go scudding along. Dani sighs a little and then throws her head back into a groan.

"Harry!" Harry raises his chin. The dog vanishes into the gap at the base of the tree, begins to pull Ron through.

"Hold on, Ron!" Harry begs.

"Let go, Ron!" Dani corrects. "Let go of the rat!" But it's no use. The dog is too powerful. Harry glances around desperately, then finds himself looking directly in Ron's eyes. He can read his mind.

"No, Ron..." One by one, Ron releases his fingers from Harry's forearm. Sacrificing himself. "Nooooo!!!" But Ron closes his eyes, releases his hands fully, and...disappears. Dani, Harry, and Hermione rise, peer into the hole. Suddenly, the Whomping Willow sweeps first Hermione, then Harry, into the air and drops them on their backsides. Dani rushes forward and prods at a knot present on the bark of the tree. The willow goes back to calm and Harry and Hermione look at Dani who shrugs.

"Vision" She offers.

"You saw this?" Harry asks her.

"Yeah....sort of" She answers. "I told you...Scabbers is important" She then turns and then jumps through the gap in the tree. Harry and Hermione share a look before they follow her.

.......

Harry hits the ground hard and then Hermione falls on top of him. Dani peers down at them and then helps them both up to their feet.

"Thanks," Hermione tells her.

"Don't mention it," Dani assures her softly.

"Lumos." Harry's wand glows to reveal a long, snaking tunnel ahead of them.

"Where do you suppose this goes?" Hermione asks.

"I have a hunch. I just hope I'm wrong..." Harry whispers. Dani, Harry and Hermione make their way through the primitive passageway, ducking the roots that dangle overhead. Then, abruptly, the tunnel... ends. Confused, Dani, Harry and Hermione glance about, then....as one....peer up. A small opening. Harry reaches up, hoists himself through. Harry pulls Hermione up and then Dani. The three of them look about the room. Paper peels from the walls. Stains, suspiciously similar to dried blood, blot the floorboards. Shattered furniture lies strewn everywhere.