Chapter Five

Dani and Neville stand at the front of the group, despite his own nerves about this class, Neville knows that it will be Dani's favourite. Draco, Vis, Crabbe, and Goyle stand with the Slytherins. Dani glances over at them, at her brother who ignores her. Continues to ignore her. They've barely spoken since he was placed in Slytherin, even at home. It's like they are strangers that live together. He's her twin. It's not supposed to be like this. Vis turns and looks across at them. But his eyes are on Neville and not Dani. Dani cocks her head and looks at Neville who is minding his own business, staring up at the trees and mumbling about species. She smiles though. Knows he loves his herbology.

"C'mon now, get a move on! Got a real treat for you. Great lesson comin' up. Follow me." Hagrid leads them toward a small paddock just this side of the Forbidden Forest. In the paddock, a freestanding iron rack hangs with dead ferrets, buzzing with flies. Nearby is a pumpkin patch. "Gather 'round. Find yourself a spot. That's it. Now, first thing you'll want to do is open your books...."

"And exactly how do we do that?" Draco asks. Hagrid looks around the group of students and their books. Belts, rope, Spellotape: any means available have been employed to bridle The Monster Book of Monsters, which quiver violently.

"Crikey. Didn't you know? All you've got to do it stroke 'em. Look..." Hagrid takes Hermione's copy, snaps the Spellotape binding it. As it begins to bite, Hagrid calmly runs a forefinger down the book's spine and it... shivers then falls quietly open. Hagrid glances at the class, looking suddenly unsure. "Right then. So... so... you've got your books, and now you'll need the Magical Creatures. Right. So... I'll... I'll go and get 'em." Hagrid turns, disappears into the trees. Draco shakes his head, speaks loudly to Vis, Crabbe and Goyle.

"God, this place is going to the dogs. Wait until my father hears Dumbledore's got this oaf teaching classes."

"Listen, you stupid prat..." Harry starts. Eyes widening in fear, Draco steps back, points.

"Potter, there's a Dementor behind you," Draco warns. Harry jumps, wheels in fear, finds... nothing. Instantly, the Slytherins make an eerie ooh... and then break up laughing. Harry reddens, embarrassed, then...a strange beast (Buckbeak) emerges from the trees. It has the torso, hind legs, and tail of a horse, but the front legs, wings and head of a giant eagle. The students, save for Vis and Dani step back in fear. Dani smiles. Buckbeak sees her and is then instantly moving towards her.

"Ah, Daenerys" Hagrid warns, moving to stop the creature.

"It's okay" She stops Hagrid with a smile, her hand coming up to touch Buckbeak when he reaches her. "Hello, Buckbeak" She greets softly.

"Aye, that's right" Hagrid realises. "He's from your father's flock" Dani smiles warmly at Buckbeak. "Beautiful, isn't he?" Hagrid asks the class. Ron stares uneasily.

"Dani" Ron starts. "Exactly what is that?" She strokes Buckbeak's beak and looks at Ron.

"A Hippogriff" She answers.

"Now, first thing you gotta know is they're proud" Hagrid informs the class. "Easily offended, Hippogriffs are. Don't never insult one, 'cause it might be the last thing you do. Right then, who wants to come and say hello?" The entire class steps back, leaving Harry in front. "Good man, Harry!" Harry looks around, then reluctantly approaches. "That's it. Easy now... stop!" Hagrid offers, Dani steps back from Buckbeak and closer to Neville. "This here's Buckbeak, Harry. You want to let him make the first move. It's polite, see? Just take a step forward, give him a bow, and if Buckbeak bows back, you're allowed to touch him. Ready?" Unsure, Harry nods anyway. Steps forward. And... bows. Buckbeak's head cocks, eagle eyes studying Harry cannily. Harry waits. And waits. "Back off, Harry! Back off!" Harry starts to step back, when... Buckbeak ducks his beak. Hagrid sighs, relieved. "Well done, Harry! Go on. Give him a pat." Tentatively, Harry reaches out, lays his hand on Buckbeak's fierce beak. The class claps. Harry smiles and looks at Dani who smiles back at him. "Look at that! I reckon he might let you ride him" Hagrid points out. Harry drops his smile.

"Excuse me?"

"We'll just set you behind the wing joint. Mind you don' pull any feathers out. He won't like that." Hagrid lifts Harry high, drops him onto Buckbeak's back, and before Harry's settled, slaps Buckbeak's hindquarters. "Off you go!" As Buckbeak gallops forward, Harry slides scarily back, giant wings unfold, huge and powerful, and then they soar into the air. Dani and Hermione share a look, Hermione smiles and shakes her head amused. Hagrid whistles after a few moments, then Buckbeak wheels, beating his way back to the paddock, galloping to a halt. As Harry slides off, the class cheers, all except Draco, who narrows his eyes maliciously. Dani and Harry share a smile, she nods and claps her hands with the others. She knows how fussy and picky Buckbeak was. He never liked anyone by Apollo and Dani. Even Vis couldn't get close to him. "Good work, Harry!" Hagrid praises and then adds under his breath; "How am I doing me first day?"

"Brilliant... Professor." Harry assures him. They both grin, when Draco pushes past them roughly, strides toward Buckbeak.

"Give me a go at that thing. If Potter can do it, it must be easy. You're not dangerous at all, are you, you great ugly brute..."

"Draco! No!" Vis warns him. In a flash, Buckbeak's steely talons slash down, Draco freezes. Looks down at the blood blossoming on his robes. He shrieks. Instantly, Dani dashes forward. Buckbeak whips around, raises his talons and seeing Dani, lowers them. Ducks his beak. Dani, realizing what she's done, she lets out a breath and touches Buckbeak's face and then looks back at Draco.

"It's killed me! It's killed me!"

"Calm yourself! You're fine... just a scratch..." Hagrid looks down to see a deep gash that glistens on Draco's limp arm.

"Hagrid. He's got to be taken to the hospital. I'll go with you, if you like..." Hermione offers.

"No. I'm the teacher. You all... you all just... Class dismissed!" And with that, Hagrid, looking shaken, swoops up Draco, flops him over his shoulder, and lumbers toward the castle. Buckbeak nuzzles into Dani's side and she sighs turning her attention to him.

...........

Draco glances to his side when he hears soft footsteps approaching his hospital cot. Dani. He frowns at her as she stops at his bed. Clearly there to see him. Which is a surprise. He's allowed to be surprised about this. About her.

"What are you doing here?" He asks her, she shrugs a little.

"Seemed only fair" She answers. "You came to check on me...."

"I wasn't checking on you" He argues, she gives him a look and raises an eyebrow, he scoffs and turns his head away from her. "Go away" He manages through gritted teeth.

"Everyone lashes out when they are scared, Malfoy," She tells him. "Doesn't matter if they are a witch, a wizard, a muggle...or even a hippogriff. Fear is fear. No matter who feels it." She lets out a breath. "But mistakes can always be forgiven... the first time..." She sets a small thing on the bedside table, Draco glances at it. Finds a small box filled with little chocolate galleons. He looks back at her, she smiles at him. Confuses him. She then turns and walks away. He watches her go as she hums to herself, her hands held behind her back, her hair bouncing along with every step. She confuses him. Draws him to her. Since the moment he first saw her. On the platform, the first year. He remembers the white hair standing out among the crowd of people. Plus she had a tiny dragon and that's hard to ignore. He had only been half-listening to his father talking about Shadow-Kissed, too focused on the girl to pay attention. Two years of her. Two years of those eyes. Two years of her proving to be kind and compassionate as well as intelligent. Two years of him struggling to understand why her. And now...now she's grown into a beautiful girl. He honestly never thought anything about the way he felt for her. They don't interact much, and even when they do, it's usually hostile on his end. He lets out a breath and reaches for the chocolate galleons. He's older now. Growing. Starting to understand.