Chapter Eighteen

As Pettigrew emerges from the gap within the Willow with the rest of them, he prattles desperately, pleading with them to spare him. He snivels, like a coward. Because that is what he is.

"Turn me into a maggot. A dung beetle. A Flobberworm! Anything but the Dementors..." He begs of them. Ron emerges from the willow and Peter turns to him. "Ron! Haven't I been a good friend? A good pet? You won't let them kill me, will you? I was your rat..." As Ron draws back in disgust, a sleepwalking Snape bumps his head against a low limb. Hermione turns to Harry.

"Don't worry. He's under the Somnambulist Charm. It's primarily used to transport the seriously deranged." Hermione explains. Harry turns, sees Sirius staring in wonder at the castle, shining radiantly under the bright bowl of the night sky.

"Beautiful, isn't it? I'll never forget the first time I walked through those doors. It'll be nice to do it again. Freely." Sirius turns to Harry. "That was a noble thing you did back there." Sirius glances at Dani who stands at Hermione's side. Sirius looks back at Harry. "He doesn't deserve it." Harry studies Pettigrew briefly, looks away. Lost in thought.

"I don't reckon my father'd want his best friends to become killers for a worthless piece of vermin like Pettigrew. Besides: Dead, the truth dies with him. Alive...you're free." Sirius studies Harry's profile, moved by this.

"I don't know if you know, Harry, but when you were born, James and Lily made me your guardian..." Sirius informs him.

"I know."

"And, well, I'll understand if you choose to stay with your aunt and uncle, but, so you know, you could...."

"Come live with you? When!" Harry realises and suddenly becomes excited.

"Soon as my name's cleared..." Sirius assures him. Harry looks at Hogwarts and smiles, Sirius does the same. Then, Hermione's voice rises on the air, quivering with fear.

"Harry..." He turns, sees Hermione staring at the full moon. His eyes shift. Remus is a rigid silhouette, his fingers twitching.

"Remus, old friend... did you take your potion tonight?" Sirius asks. Remus, twitching, shakes his head. Pettigrew's eyes dart, taking in the situation, then slowly shift, note the wand trembling in Remus' fist. "Run. All of you. Now." Sirius warns them. But none of them do, transfixed, watching as bristles poke through Remus' skin. Sirius steps forward, wraps his arms around his friend, presses his mouth to his ear. "You know the man you truly are, Remus. This flesh is only flesh." Sirius pounds on Remus' heart. "This heart is where you truly live. This heart! Here!" As Remus' wand drops, Pettigrew leaps for it.

"No" Harry yells.

"Expelliarmus!" Dani quickly casts. Remus' wand flies from Pettigrew's hand and he freezes. Then slowly turns. Face blank, eyes closed, he then smiles hideously. Transforms. Stunned, Harry watches a rat dart into the night. A howl echoes through the air and Harry wheels. With a shrug, Remus tosses Sirius into the air, then turns. He is no longer human. He's a werewolf. Harry and Hermione begin to edge back. Dani steps forward. "Uncle Moony" She pleads softly. The werewolf's eyes blaze as they lock on her. Long teeth glitter. Then...a horrifying growl erupts from its throat. Harry reaches out and grabs Dani's arm, pulling her back towards him and Hermione, they then spin, begin to flee... and run-flat into Snape. As they collapse in a great clumsy pile, Snape's eyes flutter open, the spell broken. Seeing Hermione atop him, he sweeps her aside.

"Out of the way!" He snaps, then finds the werewolf preparing to pounce. Leaping to his feet, Snape draws his wand and steps forward, shielding Hermione, Dani, Harry and Ron. The werewolf howls, sprints forward towards them, when a giant dog intercepts it in midair. They hit the ground in a fierce tangle of flashing teeth. Again and again, the dog pushes the werewolf back, but the werewolf is too strong.