Chapter Nineteen

Draco notices that Dani is nowhere to be seen when he walks into the Great Hall for the end of term feast, Harry, Ron, and Hermione are sat with Neville at the Gryffindor table, which confuses Draco, considering that these are her so-called friends. He slips away from the hall and goes looking for her. He's been meaning to talk to her for a while now. Since their....falling out. He's felt...lonely without their little moments. Without her friendship. 

.................

Draco lingers at the end of one of the darkened halls, Dani is sat on a window seat further down, she's alone, even her tag along dragon is nowhere to be seen. She's been crying, even he can tell that at this distance. What he doesn't understand, is why. That creature escaped. Everyone is fine. Everyone lived this year. She should be happy. He's been meaning to talk to her about everything. To try and explain why he is....the way he is with her. His initial unease around her was because he was afraid of her. He knows the stories surrounding the Shadow-Kissed and they scared him, so he did what he is good at, lashed out. But he thought they were getting somewhere. He felt....affection for someone that was not his family. Someone he actually wanted to be friends with because he actually liked someone. Because they made him smile. Then he went and almost got that animal killed. It broke her heart. And he did that. She notes his reflection in the window and looks at him. He seems uneasy, nervous about being there.

"What do you want?" she asks him as she looks back out the window. Draco takes a deep breath.

"You're missing the feast" He answers, she clenches her jaw. "I wanted to say sorry" he admits, she laughs and shakes her head.

"Not accepted, even if I thought you meant, which I don't" He steps closer to her.

"I do mean it" He whispers, she rolls her eyes.

"No, I really don't think you do" She counters and then stands from her seat. "I am really not in the mood, Malfoy...leave me alone" She goes to walk away from him. He grabs her arm and she shifts her eyes to his hold.

"Why won't you take my apology?" He snaps a little at her, she yanks her arm away from him.

"Don't you think you've done enough?" She counters.

"Look..." He starts but she shoves him a little and he looks down. She tears off her necklace and throws at him, hits him in the chest with it. Draco watches as it falls to the floor. He didn't even try to catch it.

"Don't ever" She steps closer to him. "Ever talk to me again......I...I can't believe I even tried to be nice to you" He looks away from her. "That I thought there was someone else, someone with the promise of being kind and thoughtful, inside of that mean Slytherin outer shell...I was wrong. You're a horrible person" She tells him. "Rotten" She spits almost. "Inside and out" She shakes her head and goes to leave, he takes a deep breath and grabs her arm again, turning her around. He lurches forward and kisses her. Just because he wanted to. He kind of likes that she stands up to him. That she's strong. And determined. And stubborn. He pulls back, seemingly realising just what he has done. He looks away from her, he has no idea why he did that. But he did. He did do that. He did kiss her. She frowns at him. "What did you do that for?" She asks him.

"I don't know" He answers. "I'm sorry" He whispers and then flees, mentally scolding himself. She stares after him, utterly confused. He's been nothing but hostile towards her since the moment they met. And now he kisses her. She touches her lips and frowns harder. Nothing makes sense with him. She looks down at where her necklace lays. She picks it up and wraps her fingers around it.

.........

Dani stands on the platform waiting for the train to come in. She hasn't spoken to Harry since the whole...Peter thing. She can't bring herself to, not until she has spoken to her father. Not until she knows if it is true or not. He could have been lying. He could have made a mistake. Ray touches her shoulder and frowns seeing her quiet she is but he knows it's been a tough year for her. He sighs and releases her. She lifts her head and looks down the platform, towards where she just knows Draco is. He's already watching her. Both of them are confused. He is...confused by himself more than her though. He is confused about what he is feeling. A warmth in his body instead of a stark coldness he is used to. He's never felt that before. But he has been, around her. She is confused by him. By his behaviour and the way he seems around her. What he did. Why he kissed her. He's mean to her and her friends one moment, and the sweetest, kindest person to her the next, and alone. He looks at her with both fear and affection. She lets out a breath and looks down at Drogon in her arms. She thought she saw something in him, saw something good, maybe she didn't, maybe it was a mistake what she saw. Maybe it's not. She closes her eyes. Confusing. All of it.