Part Two. Chapter 14.

Cash

I jumped awake and noticed I wasn't in my bed. I was on the couch in the den. I was sweating and breathing hard. I recalled my dream and went to my room. There was a faint light streaming through the kitchen. I chose to just get ready and find something to do today.

I showered and changed into jeans and a white shirt. It was getting colder out so I pulled on my Lamberque High School Football hoodie and went downstairs to make something for breakfast. My dream was still running through my head as I made myself toast. It was so vivid and real. I wondered if Dallas had any of those dreams.

"Morning," Mom and Dad came down together and sat at the table.

"Hey," I smiled and took my toast to the farthest end of the table and drowned myself in my thoughts.

Does that dream mean something? Is a prediction of the future? Would he actually do something like that to Dallas? Is there more to the dream?

"Cash, honey, is everything okay?" Mom snapped me out of my questions.

I noticed I was giving my toast a death grip and it was practically falling apart in my hands.

"Oh, yeah, great," I smiled and ate the rest of what was left of the bread and went to my room to be alone. On Saturdays, I love to play ball with Hunter or the team. This Saturday, I just wanted to be alone somewhere. My bed sunk under my weight and I felt like screaming.

"Cash?" Dallas knocked and walked inside. I stayed in the same position and waited for her to leave. She didn't.

"Yeah?" I said into my bedspread. I felt my bed sink a little more.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

I turned so I was looking at the ceiling. I debated telling her but I couldn't. Not now.

"Yeah, football pressure," I gave her a small smile. I was sore from last night's practice with Hunter.

"Oh okay, don't push yourself too much. You're going to wear yourself down," Dallas pushed my shoulder. "Oh, by the way, Dixie's bringing Hunter over later."

"Alright," I said and she walked out of my room.

---

I spent most of the day pondering the dream, hanging out with Hunter while the girls worked on a project for school and playing football. It was a mellow day but I still felt like so many things were running through my head. I told Hunter about the dream and he was worried too.

Now, watching a movie by myself in my room, I felt lost like Austin. I didn't understand why he felt the need to attack people for no reason. I did understand how he felt like no one was there for him. I felt like I was the only one without that one person I could really talk to or someone I could scream with.

I turned the movie off and went downstairs into the living room. I immediately glared at the sight. Austin and Dallas were talking about something. She probably was asking him about his moods.

"Oh, hello," I said, trying to keep the anger out of my voice.

Austin nodded and turned back to Dallas. I walked out and into the kitchen. I tried not to listen to their conversation but it was hard not to.

"Dallas, please, believe me, everything is okay," Austin tried to convince Dallas.

"I don't know, just give me a second," Dallas said. I heard her get up from the couch and she came into the kitchen looking flustered.

"Hey," I said simply and went looking for a Gatorade.

"Hi, I don't know what's going on with him. He's like always moody and sad and tired. I don't understand him, Cash," She ranted. "I mean, he's affectionate and nice but I can tell there's something behind that. Something darker."