Part Two. Chapter 9.

Cash

I had a strange feeling that there was someone watching me. There was a small wind that blew my flannel. For the first time, I realized that I forgot to button it. I swore and buttoned it. When I looked up from the last button, there was someone right in front of me. I jumped and stumbled back a few steps. The person kept eye contact with me while I backed up to the brick wall.

"Who the fuck are you?" I tried to sound tough but they took a knife and it clicked, revealing the blade. It was sharp. Very sharp. I caught a glimpse of green from their eyes. Wait, doesn't Austin have blue eyes? No way. There's no way Austin would do something like this.

"Who are you?" I repeated.

No response.

I took the front of the person's shirt and spun around so they were back up against the wall.

"I think the real question is, who are you?" A deep, southern voice responded. But it didn't come from the person I was holding up. Still holding on to the guy in front of me, I took a swing at the new guy behind me. The voice sounded familiar, too familiar. Who was it?

"Don't fuck with me, bitch," I growled at both of them. While I wasn't looking, the guy I was holding up took a swing at me. I felt a sharp pain in my jaw and the metallic taste of blood. I swore under my breath and dropped the guy I was holding up. He fell to the ground with a thud.

"Mr. Tough Guy, now?" I turned to the guy in front of me. I've had lots of people disrespect me but for some reason this guy pissed me off. His voice was so intimate. I took his arm and twisted it hard. He grunted and fell to his knees.

"Yeah, I am," I mumbled.

"Shit, I'll tell you who I am if you just," he grunted, "let me go."

I pulled him up and forced his body into the light. When I realized who I was holding up, I widened my eyes.

"Renam, what the fuck?" I yelled, not worrying about raising my voice.

He lowered his eyes to his hands and bowed his head. He didn't say anything.

"Austin. What. Just. Happened?" I asked again. This time slower and without raising my voice.

"I don't know!" Austin yelled.

"How do you now know? You fucking jumped me!" I yelled back, angry.

"Listen," he ran a rough hand through his wavy blond hair. "I'm in a tough situation right now."

"Then who's the guy I knocked out?" I questioned.

"He's- he's someone I do business with," Austin admitted.

There is no way Austin would be doing or selling drugs. He would never get away with it. I would never let him get away with it.

"What kind of business?" I pressured my sister's boyfriend.

"Stuff," he responded plainly.

I took the front of his shirt and yanked. He gasped.

"I seriously can't have my sister dating a drug dealer. Hell, I don't even know if I want Dallas dating you at all." I said with a glare.

Austin pulled out of my grip and stepped back but not before I punched him in the jaw. I was mad that he thought he could date my sister and get away with selling at the same time. Not in my book.

"I'm not selling," he grunted through pain.

I rolled my eyes. "Proof?"

He dug his hands into his black jeans and came out with a knife. I didn't back up. I didn't gasp. I just stood there, fists at the ready. He sauntered toward me and the knife clicked open. I tensed up.

"We both know what happens next, Grady." Austin threatened. I could barely see him. I saw the small light reflect off of the knife. He continued to walk towards me. All in one move, he had me pressed against the brick wall with the knife against my throat. He drew the knife back and was halfway to my throat when the person I knocked out groaned. Austin looked at him which gave me a chance to stealthily pin him against the wall.

"I know what happens next," I said in a low voice. I was able to take the knife from his hand and put it into my pocket. I took his shoulders and forced him into the light above the concrete steps. With a strong grip on his shoulders, I forced him back into the club. Immediately, the music and the lights hit me like a wave. I kept my strong posture and tightened the grip I had on Austin.

"What-" he wasn't able to say much as I dragged him to the exit and to my truck.

"Do you have a ride?" I demanded.

"Where's Dallas?" He answered my question with his own.

I rolled my eyes. "Now you ask that?" I said. "I sent her home with Chase."

"Thank God," he said under his breath.

I opened the door to the passenger seat and motioned for him to climb in. Surprisingly, he jumped in and closed the door. I took a deep breath and got in on the drivers side. I decided to drive Austin to his house and have him explain everything there. I suspected he was going to ask where we were going but he didn't. I had so many questions for him.

We arrived at his house an hour later. Austin's house was larger than ours. I had only been to his house a few times when I would drop Dallas off. She always admired it when she came home. I parked and we got out. Austin was silent the whole time. He used his house key to let us in.

"My parents are at work," I heard him mumble. He turned on the lights, igniting the gorgeous living room facing the lake. I didn't have time to look around because he speed walked into the kitchen. It had wooden cabinets, an island and a large table looking at the lake. I invited myself to a seat at the table. Austin sat across from me.

"So, whenever you're ready," I finally said.

We stayed silent for a few minutes. His blond hair fell in his blue eyes as he looked at his hands. I was getting impatient but I knew he needed time.

"Okay," Austin finally said after another couple minutes.