Part Two. Chapter 16.

Hello! Before you read Chapter 16 read this! We have now jumped ahead a year to Cash's Freshman year of College. This means it is Dallas's Senior year. AKA the beginning of the book in Cash's perspective. :)

Cash

And he did. I didn't catch him with a knife to someone's throat. It's been a year since and my respect for him has soared. He's always happy and he told me the other day that he feels the best he's ever been. I'm proud of him.

I've graduated from Lamberque High School. Currently, I'm taking classes at the community college an hour away from Braxton. I'm looking into other colleges that will offer more, football wise. I want to do football for life and I think I could go far in the sport. For now, I'm just practicing and playing with the boys for fun. I'm hoping Lamberque will let me come to their practices to see how Austin, Chase and Hunter are playing.

Tonight, Dixie and Hunter are going on a date so my sister is helping her get ready. I heard them from the other room giggling about how adorable Hunter would look in a tux. Obviously, I could never see him in anything but football gear or a pair of jeans and a shirt.

Austin is coming over to watch movies with Dallas. I overheard Dallas telling Dixie about "how exciting it's going to be just the two of them." I was really happy for Dallas. She's a Junior and thriving. She's getting fantastic grades and she has loyal friends.

At the moment, I'm in the kitchen with my phone. I got a text from Austin.

Austin: I'm finishing business with them tonight after I hang out with Dallas.

I was extremely surprised to see this text. He did have this ongoing argument with these people but I had no idea who they are. I didn't know what he meant by "finishing business."

Austin: If this goes bad, I've left clues for Dallas so she can find me.

Cash: Who's them? What do you mean by finishing business?

My head was spinning and I couldn't breathe.

Austin: Just do what I tell you, Cash.

He didn't say anything after that. I was beyond the point of confusion. I was lost and scared and nervous. So many emotions were flowing through me, I couldn't hear when Hunter rang the doorbell and Dallas came downstairs to open it. Finally, my senses came to me and I greeted Hunter.

We talked about how the team's holding up before he asked for Dixie. Dallas ushered her down and Hunter looked amazing. Dixie had on a light blue dress that flowed to her knees. It was simple but she looked nice. At last. They left and I went into the living room. I sat on my favourite loveseat and pulled my phone back out.

Cash: Then answer my questions. Who are they and what do you plan to do?

He responded quickly.

Austin: You know I can't answer those questions.

Cash: Please...

He didn't respond. Not when Dallas came down in nicer clothes and sat with a book. Now when he texted her and she smiled like an idiot. I was pretty pissed at him.

A few minutes later, Austin rings the doorbell. Dallas's face lights up and she goes to the door. She's wrapped up in a warm embrace and they share a kiss. I got up and headed to where Dallas was being bridal-style by Austin. He put her down and his face hardened.

"Well, well well, look who's in my house. The one and only Austin Renam! It's an honour, really." I snipped.

We exchanged a few words and I finally got enough and walked upstairs to my room. I pulled out my phone and texted Austin.

Cash: Dude, answer me. Please.

He didn't answer. I heard them watch a movie and get up. I heard the door close and Austin's truck start and pull out. I was pretty mad. He was going to do something dangerous tonight and I had no idea what it was or who he was doing it to.

So, I followed him. Luckily, my old truck was black so it was easy to blend in. He didn't seem to suspect anything because he just kept driving. Finally, they arrived at The Cliff.

The Cliff is a place where I go when I need somewhere to think. I've brought Dallas there once and I don't know how Austin knows it. It's off the side of a country road and it overlooks a beautiful lake.

They pulled over and got out. I parked about a minute back and sat in my truck. After about three minutes, they got up and jumped back into his truck. The next few hours consisted of them going to Ellie's Country Restaurant and driving home. Finally, I texted Dallas telling her to come home. I quickly sped home and sat in the loveseat.

When they arrived, I opened the door and shooed Austin off. I planned to follow him after Dallas went to her room. I told her I was going to Hunter's with Chase and texted the boys what was going on. They went with the plan.

Austin drove off and I followed him. I followed him past his house, through downtown and past the club I found him at that first night and into Austin, Texas. It took about three hours to get there but I immediately recognized the town. I've watched the Dallas Cowboys play around here a million times.

"Shit," I muttered when he entered downtown. It was lit up by street lamps and had lots of tall buildings. It was huge and there were lots of people walking around and laughing together.

Abruptly, Austin pulled into an empty spot and I was caught off guard. Surprisingly, there was another empty spot near his. I pulled in and realized I had to pay.

"Well, damn," I said to myself. I had money on me so I found a payphone and paid. I was able to quickly avoid Austin and get back in my truck before he walked past it.

"Yeah, I'm here," Austin said into his phone. There were a few muffled words before he stopped right in front of my truck.

"Shit, shit," I whispered. Luckily my windows were tinted black so he couldn't see me. I leaned back in my seat and held my breath.

"OK, follow the plan," Austin sighed, "Conner, just follow the goddamn plan!" He raised his voice.

Wait, who's Conner? Do I know a Conner?

Suddenly, he turned down an alley and sank into the darkness. I quietly got out of my truck and followed him down the alley. I kept a good distance between us. There was absolutely no light and the concrete was uneven. I worried about loosing my balance and him hearing. The walls were brick and I could faintly make out some graffiti.

Ahead, I could see a faint light. Austin quickened his pace and reached into his pocket for his knife. I saw a dark figure ahead and held my breath.

"Clint and Blake, we meet again," Austin said with a cold voice. I hid in the shadows 10 steps back.

There were no words said but I heard grunting, yelling and knives clicking. I was relieved there were no guns involved.

"You are so dead," one of the guys threatened. I could see they had him in a chokehold and a knife to his neck. I wanted to step in but I couldn't. I was frozen in my crouching position. I made a small sound to distract them.

"What was that? Clint, did you hear that?" Blake said. He was the one keeping watch and seemed more timid.

"No, what are you talking about? Stop distracting me. This bitch should be dead by now." Clint dropped Austin. "Let's take his body."

They were coming toward me with Austin in tow. Austin was in a bad situation. He was drugged, dragging limp behind the guys. I wanted to help him but I couldn't make a move. I silently put my hood up and leaned against the building with my foot propped up.

"Eek!" Blake shrieked at the sight of me. I didn't even flinch.

"Blake! We are doing serious business right now and you shriek at a person. God, I hate you." Clint snapped at him.

They walked into the downtown and to a black van. Blake pulled the trunk open and Clint put Austin's body in the trunk. I stayed in the shadows about 11 feet away from them. They drove away and I didn't make a move to my truck. I was so confused and acting stupid.

After a couple minutes, I mustered up the courage to find my truck and drive home.