Rainy Day Fund

(The memories from this video-
I wanted to link this to a comment, but failed, so here it is XD (pop))

Sorry for the wait aaaaaaaaah-

Life exists. And I've hit a plateau when it comes to writing, so sorry if anything isn't up to par with the quality you're expecting ^^;

And thank you so much, Sheepy, for beta'ing this chapter.

------------

There was this lovely place around the corner, Erratum discovered, called a 'convenience store'.

It lived up to its name: a conveniently placed establishment, not much cold white in its design and a wonderful, convenient place to buy chocolate and soft Monster foods for Nil and Deviate. The worker with an unfortunate ten-hour shift, the Nice Cream guy, always stared at him with wide, ogling eyes purely because this was majorly a human town, and skeletons were rare in general, especially ones with his bone colour.

That, and he was still covered in scabbing old wounds, blanketed with a protective aura that promised pain.

Blending into walls or taking back alleyway detours might've decreased the amount of stares, save the fact that he didn't know where those sketchy detours led and a Monster of his stature couldn't easily hide in the shadows like another wallflower.

The humans were afraid of him. He was always in plain sight, so when he passed by, they tended to scoot nervously out of his path, in fear of bodily harm, but it made errands a whole lot easier for him.

So, a few weeks after settling into the new living space, Erratum found himself out of food, again, and took a quick trip to the lovely store while the children were sound asleep.

The weather had been dry and sunny for the past week, so it was a surprise to almost none that bushels of dark clouds gathered across the sky.

Erratum tilted his head to squint at the covered sky. A cold raindrop fell between his eyes, a surefire sign of the oncoming storm. The thing is, this skeleton lived most of his life in a blank, lifeless space, and most of his outings took place underground, he had a near-abysmal knowledge of this so-called weather.

So he thought: 'It's just a drop of water. No problem.'

Until it was; a problem, that is.

————

The moment Erratum saw the Sun's feeble rays peek through the window, he could feel the incoming disaster of a day ready to sucker-punch him right in the gut. It was laughable, really, to think that he was occupied with his well-being; nothing in this softer universe could match the imbalance between peace and battle in the past Multiverse, where he hadn't cared the slightest if he died or not.

However, he did care for his self-adopted children. Due to this, he left them in the living room with a bunch of stuffed animals he had bought along with the furniture and exited the room like a normal person or Monster might instead of opening a portal and disappearing without a trace.

Erratum knew they wouldn't like him leaving. He denied his subconscious reasoning that he was making excuses for himself.

He denied the imaginary filth on his hands.

He wiped his hands against his jacket, and made his way down the peach-colored hallway. A nice design choice, he thought, when paired with the dusty brown doors lining each side of the corridor.

Once again, he quickly descended the stairs, awkwardly waved to the receptionist who ignored his greeting in favor of Solitaire, and pushed the front doors instead of pulling as indicated in one idiotic move. Not sensing anything amiss, he proceeded to walk forward simultaneously and bonk his head against the glass panel.