And it Goes on

Erratum had had nice cream once or twice in his lifetime — which was kind of surprising, considering how long he'd lived — and never understood why everyone seemed to like it so much. It was too cold, and melted too quickly when you tried to avoid a brain freeze.

Maybe it was just his weird sensitivity to food temperatures; maybe it was the memory of the taste of fresh blood coating his mouth and dust trickling down his throat, and the disconcerting rush of energy as the wounds closed. Healing items had saved his immortal life many times over, but he could never seem to leisurely enjoy the taste of them afterwards.

Whatever the reason, Erratum tended to stay away from anything nice cream-related. So, naturally, he bought two ice cream cones for Nil and Deviate - bubblegum and birthday cake, of all flavors - and threw in a bar of chocolate for himself; thank the stars for the vendor's diversity!

The sun was high and bright in the sky, and a perfect time to stay inside; the glaring light was irritating his pupils. He called over his adopted children and crouched down to let them into his arms.

Reluctantly, Nil grabbed Deviate's hand and settled himself into Erratum's hold.

"We can't stay for longer?" he pleaded. Damn, the puppy eyes were back.

"nO, We CAN't. I HavE to... kNit sOckS."

"Please?"

"It'S sTilL a nO."

Nil pouted, but reluctantly allowed himself to be carried back to the apartment.

Erratum, despite the opinion of an incessant nagging voice in the back of his skull, did not count himself as a recluse. He definitely deserved some alone time these days - in a comfortable, concrete place -  but there was no way to balance that with his kids' needs to spend energy. He'd figure it out somehow. Sometimes he did, sometimes he just rolled with it; hopefully, it'd be the former this time.

The walk wasn't very long, but there was a lot to register: the warm rays of sunshine, the stench of exhaust from passing cars, humans rushing to meet schedules, Monsters taking in the afternoon sun, a stray butterfly or two. There was quite a bit to marvel at, if he could actually give a shit about everything. Socks needed knitting, now, and he didn't fancy running into another trans-universal Sans copy.

By the time he reached the apartment, Nil and Deviate were much calmer and less distressed at their short playtime. They allowed him to sit them on the couch, and then handed them a stray box lying around from their move in. They'll find something to do with it.

Erratum considered going searching for more toys in the near future. He also needed to consider obtaining a practical way of cooking that did not leave him on the verge of calling Emma over to help.

He left the study door open, pulled out a bundle of black yarn from a pile of knitting supplies, and started finger-knitting. He wanted to conserve magic for now, although it'd be terribly easier to just summon some string.

He had a niggling feeling that he'd be needing every ounce of his strength soon. Or maybe that was just the paranoia talking.

---

Ink heaved himself into a sitting position. A stray paper fluttered down from the infinite skies of the Doodle Sphere, landing in his lap. It was blank; all traces of ink were erased, wiped out, destroyed. His bones felt uncomfortably raw and his pupils stung every time they flickered left to right.

Damn it all to hell. Where was Error? He had to find him, get Dream - unfaithful, lying bastard - and hunt. Error was breaking his mind with an incessant, buzzing feeling seeping through every thought he had. Him and the grip he had on his thoughts. Every day, every second, was filled with the sound and image of Error. Laughter bubbled up in his throat. Truly, he was going insane.

He held his skull in his hands. Thought about the false cheer plastered on everyone's faces. Thought about the quiet, unofficial disbanding of the Star Sanses.

He was falling apart and there was no one by his side.

This was madness, he thought. I am their protector. They had to obey him. He kept them safe. He had made all of them.

He was alone. So, so utterly alone.

This was how it was supposed to be. This was how it began.

And this was how it will end.

---

[All Sanses and Papyruses are invited to a meeting in seven days. Arrive at 8. Don't be late-location will be disclosed shortly.

-Ink]

---

Nightmare

HELLO THERE, YES, I LIVE-
Somehow. Schoolwork is just piling up as I am typing out this author's note, and I wanted to get so many more chapters out before 2022.

It's also very short and rough. Sorry about that ^^;
I might go over it later on.

That being said, I don't think I'll be able to publish another one before then. So, happy holidays!

I'll see y'all next year!
Stay safe <3

(December 21, 2021)