2. The Set-Up Plan

The conversation veered back to Eda's crush. The girls were trying to figure out the best way to set up a meet-cute. Serkan, who was now resigned to being part of the conversation listened in, and his curiosity got the better of him. "Who is the guy?"

"Kaan Karadag" Melo replied excitedly.

"My friend Kaan?" Serkan asked, surprised. It's the only Kaan Karadag he knew.

Four pairs of eyes turned on him, and he could see the wheels turning. "Hayir! Forget I asked. I'm not getting involved. See ya!" He rose to leave again.

This time both Melo and Ceren pulled him back down. "Too late, Abi," Ceren laughed sounding pleased with herself. "This is perfect. You can set them up! I forgot that you went to high school with him"

"Ok, back up. I need more information. Why Kaan? How did you meet him?" he directed his question to Eda.

"His mom had an event at their house and Hala catered the food, I helped her deliver and setup, that's where I met him," Eda's eye took on a dreamy look.

"Huh. And what do you like about him?"

Eda started checking items off on her fingers. "Let's see - he's hot! He's friendly, he's polite, he's hot, he's hard-working and successful. Did I mention he's hot?..."

"Yeah, yeah, I got that part," Serkan interrupted. Was Kaan really that hot though? He hadn't seen him in a couple of years, but the repeated callouts to his hotness seemed excessive.

"So just call him and ask him out. It doesn't have to be so complicated". The solution seemed obvious enough to him.

Four voices descended on him again, telling him she couldn't possibly make the first move if she didn't know if he was interested. Did they alway speak at the same time, he wondered. "Tamam, I get it. Kind of. So what should I do? You want me to ask if he's interested and give him your number?"

Four voices rose again, and he decided he needed more skills than he currently possessed to take in all their opinions at once. He looked at his sister and mouthed, "Help"

Ceren clapped her hands to bring order. "No, no, that won't work. What if he's not interested? That would just be awkward for everyone. We need to have them be in a social setting and find out how he feels and take it from there." An idea clicked in her head. "Oh! Isn't anne's charity's golf thing this weekend? She wanted us to go, and I'm sure Kaan will be there. His anne is co-chair of the event. We should take Eda with us!"

"Ceren you're a genius," Melo declared. "That sounds perfect!"

Eda nodded in agreement. That could actually work. She didn't want to set herself up for rejection by reaching out to him directly, but if he got a little nudge, she'd be able to tell if he was interested.

Fifi dusted off her hands, as a sign off. "Nice going kizlar. Now its all on you Serkan, make sure Kaan is into our girl", she said with a poker-face.

"Wait, what!" Serkan said, alarmed. He was so out of his depth. He was terrible at this kind of stuff. People should just stop hooking up, and they should definitely not involve him in the process.

Ceren patted him on the back, "It's easy Abi, you know Kaan, you know Eda, introduce them, get them talking, and you're done"

Well he supposed he could do that much. He'd lost touch with Kaan but he presumed he was still nice enough, Eda certainly seemed to think so. And Eda, well, who wouldn't like her instantly? It seemed like his contribution would be minimal.

"Fine. I can do that," he conceded. "But that's it, ok? I don't have time for this nonsense." The instant the words left his mouth he knew he'd said the wrong thing. He looked at Eda and immediately regretted causing the hurt he saw in her face.