17. Stay (M)

Eda hurried up the steps leading to her house, unlocked the door, stepped in, closed it behind her, leaned against it, and exhaled deeply. She had not expected Efe to kiss her on the lips. It wasn't a forced kiss, he had given her a second to reject him before lightly pressing his lips to hers, letting her know he was interested.

She hadn't turned away. She had enjoyed the evening and they had a lot in common. If she was really going to pursue a romance with somebody she had to at least be open to kissing them, for a start. So she hadn't turned away.

She pressed the back of her hand to her lips and wiped unconsciously. She had felt nothing. No fire, no buzz, not even a flicker of anything. Damn you Serkan, she cursed. He'd ruined everything for her. She needed to get him out of her mind and her life.

The loud knock on the door she was leaning against made her jump. Who could it be at this hour? Had she left something in Efe's car?

"Efe?" she called through the door.

"Open the door Eda," Serkan knocked impatiently again.

What in the world! Eda opened the door cautiously and peeked her head out.

"We should talk," Serkan said, his voice determined.

"Not now Serkan!" Eda looked around, her neighbors were the curious kind, and they knew Ayfer was away. If he stood out there any longer, one of them was sure to notice.

"Why not now?" he asked obstinately, his voice rising.

"Shhh," she hissed, opening the door and yanking him in by the arm. "I don't need any drama in the mohalle."

"What are you doing here Serkan?" she asked, her hands on her hips, annoyed that he was here. But also annoyed that he looked stupidly hot, and her skin was prickling in awareness. She tried to brush away the feeling.

"You look nice," his eyes swept over her, almost critically.

"Thanks?" She still had no idea why he was here, but there was an edge to that compliment.

"I know you went on a date!" he said accusingly, his voice flat.

"Are you kidding me right now??" Eda couldn't believe her ears. The gall of this man to think he had any right to ask her anything.

"Go away," she stormed up the stairs to her room - she didn't want to deal with him right now.

He followed her up a few stairs without even thinking, and bumped straight into her when she stopped short and turned around.

"Shoes!" she shouted.

"Ne?" He asked, utterly confused.

"Take off your damn shoes!" She was lashing out at him, she knew, but he deserved it!

"Sorry!" he was immediately contrite, and also mildly amused by her sassy rage. Or was he turned on? He wasn't quite sure.

She turned and headed back up to her room and he followed...because she hadn't told him not to.

When they were inside her room she stopped and turned on her heel, "Why. are. you. here?" she punctuated each word.

"I....," he didn't have a good excuse so he went with the truth. "I was driving home from dinner at my mom's place. Ceren said you were on a date and I ended up driving to your place without realizing. I was going to head back, I swear, and then I thought I saw him kissing you. And I guess I was..." he paused, searching for the right word, "..upset."

"You have no right!" she said angrily, wanting to grab his face and kiss him, or slap him, she wasn't sure which. Her fingers itched and she looked for something to keep her busy and distracted.