4. Past and Present

It had been two weeks since Eda's big social event with Kaan. Ceren told Serkan that her yellow dress had been a big hit, happily taking some of the credit. Little did she know the role Serkan played.

It seemed like Kaan and Eda were properly dating now and with Ceren getting really busy at her internship, the girls didn't come around much anymore. Which was just as well, Serkan enjoyed his solitude.

It was a late Saturday afternoon and he'd decided to stay home for a change, instead of going into the office. Ceren was at work, per usual - her bosses really making the most of the almost free labor they were getting from her.

He was sitting on the sofa watching the news when his phone pinged with a message. He looked down at it.

It was from his mom, she was coming back home - without his dad. Serkan sighed at the drama he knew was inevitable.

His phone pinged again. Oh Anne, don't pull me into this mess again, he thought to himself.

But it wasn't his mother.....

Asli: I miss you. I miss us.

A deep rage coursed through Serkan. Damn Asli! She still had that way of unsettling him. Time and distance had not diminished that. Did you miss me when you were screwing your private trainer in our bed, Asli? Or did you only miss me when I walked in on both of you? Or was it when I walked out on you forever.

The ugly scene played in his head again and he let out a short shout of anger.

He switched off his phone. In truth, he should block Asli's number. But he wasn't there yet. They had history. She's the only woman he'd truly loved. Well...he thought he loved her. He knew now that love and everything about it was a sham. His parents only reinforced the notion. Never again. I'll never make myself vulnerable again, he promised himself.

He sat with his head in his hands, he didn't know for how long.

The doorbell rang and shook him back to the present.

He opened to the door to find Eda on the other side. "Not using the key anymore?"

Eda grinned cheekily. "I would have if you hadn't opened the door."

She handed him a bag. "I just wanted to return Ceren's dress. Hala had to make a stop close by, so she dropped me off. I know Ceren is not here, can you just give it to her?"

"Sure." Serkan nodded. "Do you want to come in?"

Eda waved her hand, "No, no. I'll see you later."

Suddenly Serkan didn't want to be left alone to spiral. "I can drop you home," he called out to Eda as she turned to walk away.

Eda stopped short and turned around surprised, "It's fine, I can take a cab."

"I need to get out of the house. Let me get my keys, hold on." He didn't wait for an answer and Eda didn't protest. Serkan didn't often offer his company to people, so he must really be out of sorts, and she didn't want to push it.

Serkan seemed moody and upset so Eda did what she did best - she included him in her orbit. She talked about school and her plans for the future. She saw his hands relax a little on the steering wheel and felt relieved.

"So are you almost done?" He asked, initiating conversation for the first time.