8. Alina

The project planning was well underway and it meant late nights at the office for Eda. But she didn't mind. Her social life wasn't going anywhere, Hala was out of the house more often than she was home, Ceren was busy as usual, Fifi had started a job at a cyber security company, and Melo had gone home to visit her family.Eda missed her girls, so she was very grateful that her job kept her busy and distracted. 

As they worked later into the evening, Engin and Piril would sometimes have the babysitter drop off baby Alina at the office when they couldn't get out in time. She was the cutest bundle of joy Eda had ever seen and Piril was always grateful for the extra pair of hands Eda offered.

Every time the baby was around Serkan made himself scarce, like he was afraid he would spontaneously combust around her. Eda enjoyed teasing him about it, pretending to have questions for him while she had baby Alina in her hands. He would physically shrink away, and it amused her no end. "Eda, I know what you are doing," he warned, even though he had the hint of a smile on his face.

"Just look at her baby cheeks," Eda gushed, bringing her right up to Serkan. "Don't you jut want to eat them?"

"Ummm, no. I want no such thing." he said, scooting back.

The baby gurgled just then and gave him a toothy smile, and he smiled back automatically. She was cute he had to admit, but that was the extent of it, he thought.

He pointed at Alina, "I can't believe you want three of those."

"I can't believe you don't want any!" she retorted.

"Trust me, they are better off without me," he said self deprecatingly.

Eda felt a little tug at her heartstrings at his words. Poor Robot Bolat, so afraid to love and be loved. She felt an urgent need to fix it. And even though her brain fought with her heart to stay out of matters that didn't concern her, the words slipped out before she could stop herself.

"Can you just hold her for a second. I need to use the restroom and Piril and Engin are on the phone with the client." She didn't wait for him to answer, just put the baby's blanket on his shoulder and handed her into his hands. "Please, please? I'll be right back"

 "Please, please? I'll be right back"

"What are you doing! Wait...", he called his mouth falling open in shock. She did not wait. But just as she ran out of the room she saw Alina put her tiny fingers into his open mouth and she couldn't control the giggle that fell from her lips.

She came back as quickly as she could, she really wasn't trying to make him uncomfortable. When she walked back into the room, they were smiling and babbling to each other. Her heart did a little flip when he turned to look at her, the smile still on his face. She had never seen his eyes so soft, his smile so guileless. It made him look so much younger.

He sighed in exaggerated exasperation, "That was torture!! Here take her," he handed the baby to Eda, quickly touching Alina's nose affectionately after she'd exchanged hands. Knew it, even robots are not immune to babies, Eda grinned to herself.

-------

As they moved closer to the execution date, the four of them would meet up more often. Sometimes their meetings spilling over to lunch at the cafe next door.

It was one such day and the were going over the final draft of the proposal over lunch at the cafe. The contractor called just as they were finishing up and Piril and Engin excused themselves to follow up the call in the office. Eda didn't interact much with clients or contractors just yet. She didn't feel confident enough, and she was glad no one was pushing her to do it.

It was just Eda and Serkan at the table and they made some small talk as they waited for the coffee to arrive.

"I didn't tell you about this guy I met through the app," she said making conversation, like she always did when it got quiet around her.

"What? You met someone without checking with me?" Serkan feigned indignation.

She smiled apologetically, "I didn't want to bother you." Then she leaned forward conspiratorially, like she was sharing a state secret and whispered. "I think he was wearing a wig. I had such an urge to check if it was his real hair. It was so distracting, I could barely listen to what he was saying."

Serkan burst out laughing, "See? This is what happens when you don't run them by me. I would have noticed that right away in the picture"

"Uh huh," Eda grinned good-naturedly.

"How are things with you? I heard that your mom has moved back," Eda said.

Serkan sighed. "Yeah. Ceren must have told you that my dad was having an affair. So they've separated. Again. We've been down this road before. Anyway, now she's turned all her attention on me." He rubbed the back of his neck in frustration. "I'm thinking of moving out. Ceren is not home enough to be a buffer."

He looked at Eda thoughtfully, "So what is the deal with her and Ferit? Are they serious?"

Eda zipped her lips shut with her fingers. "I'm not going to snitch on my friend!" she said sounding offended. She waited a beat and then unzipped her mouth with her fingers - and he smiled.

"Ok I'll just tell you this. He's hopelessly in love with her and he's just waiting for her to figure out that she's in love with him too. He's a lovely person. You have nothing to worry about." Her eyes took on a dreamy look, "I can't wait for Ceren to figure it out. They will be so happy together. I just hope Ferit is willing to wait."

Serkan snorted, "Any guy who can't wait for my sister to make up her mind, doesn't deserve her!"

Eda loved this side of him. He had always been Ceren's biggest protector. "You're right and I know he'll wait." she replied confidently.

"I thought she was going to focus on her career.", he said disapprovingly.

"She can do both. You don't have to give up your personal life for a professional one." Eda felt strongly about this.

He mumbled something in denial but didn't bother to argue with her. 

They finished up their coffee and rose to head back to the office.

"Serkan!" Eda heard a woman's voice call.

She turned around to see a beautiful, statuesque, blonde woman waving daintily in their direction. She turned her head back around to look at Serkan to see that he had turned ashen.

The woman walked up to them, "I stopped by your office and Leyla told me I could catch you here." Her eyes fell on Eda and her gaze swept over her quickly from head to toe. "I hope I'm not interrupting anything."

Eda fought the urge to stand taller and straighten her clothes. 

The woman touched Serkan's arm, her face softening with a warm smile, "I'm so glad to see you."

Serkan cleared his throat, his voice hoarse in spite of it, "Asli! I didn't know you were in Istanbul"

~to be continued~

Notes (2020-01-20)

Well Asli's back, big surprise LOL. Sorry the chapter is a little short. I just wanted to end with her appearance. There will be more soon :)

How many of you guessed who Alina was? :)