16. Two Steps Back

Eda started packing her things into the bag, keeping her back to him, and holding in her tears as best she could.

She heard him rise from the bed and walk up behind her, and her whole body tensed. She wouldn't be able to bear it if he touched her. There was only so much will power she could muster.

"Eda," he said softly, reaching for her. He saw her shrink into herself as he approached, and he dropped his hand helplessly. He hated that she was hurting, hated that he didn't have the right words to fix this -whatever this was.

"Can we talk?" He tried again.

"There's nothing to talk about, Serkan. I have to be back in Istanbul today. Hala is leaving for Italy with Onur tomorrow. They are taking off for a month. She needs to fill me on some details for her catering business before she leaves. I really can't stay another day," she said with finality.

It was a fact that Hala was leaving for Italy, but only in 2 days and Eda could easily have stayed the extra day. But she knew she wouldn't be able to protect her heart anymore, just as surely as she knew she could never ask Serkan to give more than he wanted to.

"Tamam," he sighed in resignation. "I'll call for a cab. Emre Bey's plane should be leaving in about an hour.

-------------

They boarded the plan and Eda was relieved to see 2 other acquaintances of Emre Bey also on the flight. At least she didn't have to be all alone with Serkan. The 4 seats in the plane did mean that Serkan and Eda had to sit together. She took the window seat, leaning into the side of the plane, trying to keep as much distance from him as possible, and closed her eyes pretending to sleep.

The plane started to take off and she clutched the armrests, her fingers digging into the soft leather. Her eyes flew open when she felt Serkan gently pry her hands off the armrest and hold them together in one hand, while wrapping his arm around her shoulders and leaning her into him. She opened her mouth to protest, albeit half-heartedly.

"Shhh," he said soothingly, rubbing his hand up and down her arm. "Just close your eyes and relax Eda. We don't have to argue about this."

Her heart did a little summersault at his words. Argh why did he have to be so kind and caring. Why couldn't he just be an ass. It would have been so much easier.

The plane landed and Serkan shook her shoulder gently, his mouth near her ear, whispering her name. Eda awoke from her sleep groggily, a happy smile on her face from the dream still lingering in her thoughts. The one where Serkan was kissing her while his hands roamed her body in a slow and possessive caress. She turned her head slightly and looked at him dreamily, her lips dangerously close to his - so close that all she had to do was reach and touch them with her own. She saw his mouth curve upwards in amusement, and was jolted back to reality.

She sprang up, and straightened out her clothes nervously

She sprang up, and straightened out her clothes nervously. "Thanks for that." She said self-consciously, not looking at him, then added defiantly, " I didn't really need help."