20. The Thing About Love

Eda looked at her phone as it rang in her hand. Serkan. She knew her resistance would fade at the mere sound of his voice – so she clicked the ringer off and stuffed the phone into her pocket. She needed to do this for her sanity, she needed to let him go. She loved him enough to want him to be happy with his own choices, whatever they were. She exited the taxi and walked resolutely into the airport.

She stood in the security clearance line, ignoring the persistent buzzing of the phone in her pocket. When it was her turn in line she put her bag in the tray and pulled her phone out of her pocket to drop it into the tray as well. It buzzed one more time in her hand, startling her. She almost dropped it into the tray, but then sighed and flipped it over to look at the caller id. Ceren.

-------

Serkan raced through traffic. He wasn't a praying man, but he prayed hard on his way to the airport. Give me one more chance, he murmured, I can't lose you Eda. He rushed in through the doors, his eyes scanning the floor. She wasn't at the counter for the flight to Italy. He noted that the plane was already boarding on the display, and the panic rose in his chest tightening around his heart so he could barely breathe. He clutched at his chest and ran towards the security gate.

"Ticket, sir!" The security guard stopped him.

"I..I just need to see someone. Please! I have to stop her." Serkan begged, his breathing ragged.

"Sir, If you don't step away I'm going to have to call security," the guard warned.

Serkan exhaled in defeat and took a step back, his hand rubbing the back of his head in deep frustration

Serkan exhaled in defeat and took a step back, his hand rubbing the back of his head in deep frustration. His stomach churned and his heart thudded loudly in his chest - he was too late.

The hair on the back of his neck prickled suddenly in awareness and he felt the press of soft lips against his neck. Serkan froze and closed his eyes, not daring to believe. Maybe if he stood perfectly still this moment could last forever – he could pretend that she was here.

She slipped her arms around his waist, and his breath hitched

She slipped her arms around his waist, and his breath hitched. "Eda?"

"Serkan" she said softly, slowly spinning him around to face her. "I'm here."