12. The Trip

Eda almost dreaded going into work the following day. She didn't tell anyone about the kiss. The plan was to forget it ever happened - somehow.

Fortunately Serkan seemed to have similar thoughts because he avoided looking in her direction and stayed in his office most of the day, even disappearing to his room upstairs for a little while. This is good, Eda thought. We'll stay out of each other's way for a few days and that should give us enough time to put it behind us.

Eda knew that Engin and Serkan were going offsite to Izmir as well, to meet with a client. They would leave on Friday morning and come back only on Monday. Perfect.

Engin came to her desk, looking harried. "Eda can you go over these plans with Serkan, I'm really tied up."

"Are you okay Engin?" Eda wondered why he looked even more stressed than usual.

"I'm fine. No actually I'm not fine, Alina is down with the flu. Piril is with her at home. And I have to prepare a few things for the trip tomorrow."

"Oh, I'm so sorry  Engin, does Piril need help? Let me know if I can do anything."

Engin nodded distractedly. "Can you go over these plans with Serkan?"

Eda shifted on her feet uncomfortably, "I think he'll be less critical if you show it to him." She was hiding behind the fact that he was a a bit of a task master, but in truth, she just wasn't up to spending time with him. Not yet anyway.

Engin's eyes narrowed. "Has he been giving you a hard time? You report to me, he shouldn't be meddling in your work."

Eda assured him that Serkan was not bothering her, nope, not at all.

"Tamam, if you are sure." Engin relented. "You do amazing work Eda. This project has been almost entirely your vision. Never be afraid to stand behind it. Are you sure you don't want to go over it with him?"

"Yes, I have a bit of a headache, let me go get some coffee. Just let me know if he needs any changes." She hurried out of the bullpen and headed for the break-room before he had a chance to argue with her.

Engin went to Serkan's office upstairs, "Are you giving Eda a hard time about her work?" he asked. "She's one of our best employees."

Serkan raised his hands in denial. "I didn't say anything!" He paused, "Did she say that I said something?"

Engin shook his head, "She seemed a little bit on edge, said she had a headache too. So I thought maybe you'd said something." He sighed deeply, "Sorry, if I'm being an ass. The baby is sick and Piril has been coughing all morning and this trip is stressing me out."

Serkan patted him on the back, "It's ok man. Hope they are better soon. I'm having an off-day as well. I think I need more coffee."

Eda filled her coffee cup and drank it slowly in the break-room. She hoped Engin would be done talking to Serkan by the time she was done. She picked up her cup, feeling a sudden prickle of awareness in the back of her neck before she turned around and body slammed straight into Serkan. 

"Uff", they both exclaimed at the same time, their noses almost touching. Eda put her hands on his chest instinctively trying to put distance between them, while Serkan held her shoulders to steady her.