010. burning away the sins

chapter ten, burning away the sins

" We, we don't have to worry bout nothing
'Cause we got the fire, and we're burning one hell of a something
They, they gonna see us from outer space, outer space
Light it up, like we're the stars of the human race, human race "

BURN ━━
ellie goulding

           THE SMELL IF THE DEAD AND ALREADY DECAYED BODIES MADE JULIET GRIMACE. The smell was awful. Not only that, they were forced to post away flies that came from the rotting flesh. Nan, Zoe and herself had been ordered by Fiona to clean up and burn the remaining limbs when Fiona finally returned with the news Cordelia had been blinded. But told to focus on hiding any evidence of what had happened last night. They were still in their clothes covered in blood and guts, Juliet and Zoe looking worse than Nan.

Fiona was overseeing their work, which Juliet thought was bullshit seeing as she was supposed to be the one protecting them but wasn't there. Of course, her daughter had been in the hospital, but Juliet didn't give a damn. She could help with something, but she wasn't about to admit it out loud. She didn't like their leader and how she acted, but she was sure she'd be targeted if she were to question her.

          "Fire purges and purifies, scatters our enemies to the wind. What blows away need not be explained." The Supreme stated as Juliet threw a severed leg into their burning bonfire of bodies, wrinkling her nose at the smell.

Zoe came back, a wheelbarrow of body parts inside it as she wheeled it towards them. "Okay, I think that's the last of them." Zoe informed, trying to wave some of the buzzing flies away but the small creatures remained persistent.

          "I can't believe I'm going to have to throw my favorite shirt out," Juliet muttered, glancing to the stained tank top she'd worn at the time of the attack. She picked up one of the limbs Zoe had brought, nearly throwing up at the smell as she threw a head into the fire. It rolled before coming to a stop, facing her, it's dead eyes staring at her. Making a face, she moved quickly, kicking the head away from her without burning her herself so it was no longer facing her.

          "This is nasty." Nan commented, throwing in her own limb.

          "Maybe we should get more cedar chips to mask the smell." Zoe suggested, and there areas a few seconds of silence as they worked, before Zoe glanced up noticing their Supreme a short distance away. "How's Luke?" She whispered quietly to Nan.