011. successful séances

chapter eleven, successful séances

" When I was a child, I'd sit for hours
Staring into open flame
Something in it had a power
Could barely tear my eyes away "

       ARSONIST'S LULLABY ━━
       hozier

━━ 𝗆𝗎𝗋𝖽𝖾𝗋 𝗁𝗈𝗎𝗌𝖾 ♱ 𝟮𝟬𝟬𝟮

          SCREAMS ECHOED IN THE HOUSE, AS THEY HAD DONE MANY TIMES BEFORE. These were screams of pain that echoed through the halls of the infamous Murder House, there was only a small amount of relief for the woman in pain pain medication. It didn't stop the pain fully, but she enough to offer a small amount of relief as she pushed, her fingers digging into the mattress beneath her, nails ripping at the fabric.

          The faces around the woman were blurred from either her sweat or tears or maybe she simply just wasn't seeing right. Everything else was wrong after all. There were strangers there, helping her. Not getting her to a doctor but doing it herself and her husband who sat on her right, urging her to push seemed to trust them completely. She had no time to question him though, as the house creaked and groaned, helping them instead of destroying them for once.

           Juliet Harmon stood scared, outside the doorframe of the room. She was silent, not a soul had noticed her presence, too focused on the babies that were coming right now. It was too soon. Her father had told her they would go to a hospital and do a special delivery, this was not at all that. There were strangers in her new home. However they weren't exactly strangers. She knew them. She'd seen them in her house, and then when she'd close her eyes and open them, they'd be gone again. They were here now though, helping her mother as she gave birth to two babies, who Juliet had said would be perfect.

          Tears ran down Juliet's face, and after a particularly loud scream from her mother her hands shot to her ears as she whimpered in the doorway, and still no one noticed her presence. It felt like hours of people talking to her mother, whispering words of encouragement, telling her that she would be okay, even though in the end it would all be pointless.

          Everything fell silent for a few seconds, Juliet hesitating before pulling her hands away from her ears. She saw them hand the first of the two babies her mother was pregnant with be handed off, wrapped in a bundle of blankets. Her screams started up again as the baby was handed to one of the many people in the house that Juliet did know Nora Montgomery.